Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Unpleasant smell coming from airlock...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
chungking
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

My noble Trappist kit from Midwest has been fermenting for about 36 hours. Used safbrew t-58 dry yeast.

Started out smelling really good. Nice hoppy wiffs coming from airlock. But today they smell weird, and a little nasty. I guess if I could sum it up, almost sour/spoiled smelling.

I know it's way to early, but could it be a possible infection? All my other brews smelled good compared to this one...and yes I'm a sniffer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Kaz
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Wouldn't worry about it, all yeasts are different. Gives it a few weeks and have a taste, then you'll know.

Draft 1: Lightly smoked Weizen
Draft 2: Belgian Wit
Draft 3: Rauchbier

Primary 1: German Scwarzbier
Primary 2:

On Deck: Belgian Brown Ale, Pale Ale, Stout

Old 11-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
frtrey
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I had the same issue - I think, from what I've read in the ruined beer sticky, that this is common and doesn't indicate a bad batch. At least that is what I'm telling myself. I'll know in about a month.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2301 Times on 2002 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Trappist ales do have a bit of sour funk to them naturally. The Chimay & Thirsty Dog Cerberus do. Let it do it's thing & see how it goes.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
buttcord
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Trappist ales do have a bit of sour funk to them naturally. The Chimay & Thirsty Dog Cerberus do. Let it do it's thing & see how it goes.
I strongly disagree with this. Trappist ales in general should most definitely NOT be sour or funky, with the exception of perhaps an aged Orval (which is inoculated with Brettanomyces). With that said I wouldn't worry about your beer. It is way too young to be worried about weird smells coming out of the fermentor!

Old 11-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

I still have the empty bottles. They def have a little bit of that sour quality to them. It was easy to taste for me anyway. They def are not like regular ales. They do have some of that quality,but not a lot. So when I mentioned it,I didn't mean sour apple bomb candies or something.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
chungking
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I figured if anything, it should be a rich malty smell. It had 7 lbs of lme and 1 lbs of candi sugar. It might be the candi sugar, never used that before. Not sure why it would make it smell bad though...

Old 11-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
shoreman
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Some yeasts throw off sulfer and gross biproducts - there's a few Belgian yeasts that I use that do I wouldn't worry about it

Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com

Old 11-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
buttcord
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
I still have the empty bottles. They def have a little bit of that sour quality to them. It was easy to taste for me anyway. They def are not like regular ales. They do have some of that quality,but not a lot. So when I mentioned it,I didn't mean sour apple bomb candies or something.
Yes, it is not surprising that old, empty bottles smell a little sour.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Aaah,here we go...I meant that I actually drank the beers I mentioned. not just talking outta the air. Those bottles get rinsed & all anyway. I noticed that Belfians so far seem to have a little of that sort of quality to them. Besides the funky stuff some yeasts throw off as they get to work. Euro ones throw sulfer smells like old dino farts.

Quick Reply