Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Unfortunate Omission

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2013, 03:07 AM   #1
debo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Unfortunate Omission

For the sake of not bumping an older thread, I'll post my experience with my first brew so far here:

In my eagerness to get started, I steeped my grain pretty much immediately after sanitizing everything that arrived with my brew kit. As I started to steep, a creeping feeling that something was wrong washed over me, so I decided to double check my kit...

...my yeast was omitted by the supplier. So, I unfortunately am going to have a less-than-stellar first brew as I resorted to using a bread yeast for this batch. I'm well aware of the differences in yeasts, and I'm so incredibly disappointed that not only did I fail to double check my shipped contents but that my first brew is not going to be that good and will probably taste a lot like stale bread.

At any rate, I'll probably post some progress as things move along. I just needed a bit of a place to vent my frustrations with my supplier/myself.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 03:16 AM   #2
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

if you didnt pitch yet i would recommend waiting (just put bucket/carboy in cold place) till tomorrow and getting proper yeast from LHBS if you have one available, if not then sol and pitch bread yeast

Old 03-16-2013, 03:20 AM   #3
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1458 Times on 1053 Posts
Likes Given: 618

If you have access to a LHBS that will be open tomorrow, you could put off pitching until tomorrow, get some proper yeast. Still not ideal unless you go the proper "no chill" method (and even then, while some folks swear by it I'm not in a hurry to try it myself) and your sanitation will have to be flawless, but it might be a better option than bread yeast. Even if you do have to use bread yeast, hold off judgement until you taste it.

Up Next: Lamebic, Flanders Red, Malt Liquor, Belgian IPA
Primary: English IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer, Brett. C. Old Ale
Secondary: Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter
Polypinned: Best Bitter
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone, English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 03-16-2013, 03:25 AM   #4
darrenbrews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The outcome could be interesting.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:28 AM   #5
half_whit
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 88

+1 to the previous posts. Let it sit and get some beer yeast if you're able. That aside, don't be so hard on yourself! Beer is resilient stuff. As much as I've (accidentally) tried to screw it up, it always surprises me. Don't worry, just learn

Planning: Heady Topper Clone,
Primary: Nutella Stout
Secondary 1:
Secondary 2:
Bottled:
Kegged:

Old 03-16-2013, 03:35 AM   #6
debo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polboy View Post
if you didnt pitch yet i would recommend waiting (just put bucket/carboy in cold place) till tomorrow and getting proper yeast from LHBS if you have one available, if not then sol and pitch bread yeast
Unfortunately, I'm about 150 miles from a brew supply/location to obtain yeast, so that's out of the question.

I've also pitched already, so I'm stuck. Over the past hour or two, I've come to grips with my likely disappointing brew...lol

It'll still be drinkable, but it won't be quite right. I'm brewing a brown ale, so I'm hoping that the bready flavor might not be terribly offputting. If nothing else, it'll make some tasty beer bread hopefully

Old 03-16-2013, 03:37 AM   #7
debo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf View Post
If you have access to a LHBS that will be open tomorrow, you could put off pitching until tomorrow, get some proper yeast. Still not ideal unless you go the proper "no chill" method (and even then, while some folks swear by it I'm not in a hurry to try it myself) and your sanitation will have to be flawless, but it might be a better option than bread yeast. Even if you do have to use bread yeast, hold off judgement until you taste it.
Oh, by no means am I going to toss the brew (if that's what you implied). Even if it's not particularly pleasing, there's always something I can learn from the process - namely, I need a slightly larger brew kettle. I'm mostly mad at myself for not slowing down to start and double checking my prep to ensure everything was laid out properly.

Lesson learned, and at this point, I'll just have to hope for the best!

Old 03-16-2013, 03:39 AM   #8
debo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by half_whit View Post
+1 to the previous posts. Let it sit and get some beer yeast if you're able. That aside, don't be so hard on yourself! Beer is resilient stuff. As much as I've (accidentally) tried to screw it up, it always surprises me. Don't worry, just learn
Thanks for the support. My ego took a bit of a hit tonight...haha.

I'm not one to listen to intuition/"gut feelings", but I'm kicking myself a bit for not picking up some supplies while at the liquor store/brew supply near my university before heading home for break.

Oh well. I'll live to brew another day

Old 03-16-2013, 03:49 AM   #9
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Unless there was a ton of steeped grain, I'd have been inclined to dump the steeped wort and ask for replacement grain along with the yeast. The seller would be within his/her rights not to replace it since you did have the opportunity to notice the omission earlier, but there'd be some chance they'd do it for goodwill. If they wouldn't, for most beers it'd just be a couple bucks to replace it. IMO that might be preferable to fermenting $20-$30 worth of extract with bread yeast.

But that's moot now. You'll learn something from this experiment, I'm sure.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:52 AM   #10
Stones
Recipes 

Don't beat yourself up, brewing is a journey with many twists and turns. We all live and learn!

You could have tried harvesting some yeast from some bottle conditioned commercial beers (sierra nevada pale ale etc) made a small starter tonight an pitched tomorrow afternoon. The yeast strain may not have be suited to your brown ale but it would have been better than bread yeast.

Quick Reply