Unexpected Problem: Wheat RIS Sweetness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkothecarp

Reaction score
So my buddies and I were at the homebrew store the other day, and we were going to make a RIS. However, we decided to go ahead and use Wheat instead of regular Light Extract and Rye instead of oatmeal. We only got bittering hops, the strongest we could find, because I don't see a need to add flavor to an RIS with other additions.

10lbs Wheat Malt Extract Syrup
1lb 4oz American Roasted Barley
1lb American Six-row Pale
1lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -170L
1lb Chocolate Malt
1lb Flaked Rye

2oz Sorachi Ace @ 14AA at around 10 minutes before the boil started (still hot). IBU's are around 40.
1 Whole Star Anise at ten minutes.

Pitched this onto a yeast cake that just finished fermenting an oatmeal stout.

Do you think this will be too sweet or do you think some of the Chocolate and Roasted Barley will pick up the slack and bitter it a little more?

Wow... 1lb 4oz. of roasted barley is a TON. I'm expecting you to have a very burnt coffee flavored beer. I usually keep my roasted barley to under a half pound.

Wow... 1lb 4oz. of roasted barley is a TON. I'm expecting you to have a very burnt coffee flavored beer. I usually keep my roasted barley to under a half pound.

It's American Roasted Barley, which I assume is quite different from normal roasted barley. It's about half the lovibond (I think).

Back