Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Understanding hops in boil and fermenting..?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
SamHain
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Understanding hops in boil and fermenting..?

OK...Im just trying to understand better how and when hops impart their flavor.

During the boil you add your hops and you get flavor. After the boils is done,yeast is pitched and the fermenting starts...do the hops that you added during the boil continue to flavor the beer?

Im not talking about dry hopping either...just the boil hops.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
HibsMax
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am a novice so at this point I am still in the stage of regurgitating what people have told me and what I have read as opposed to using my own experiences....but this is what I was told.

You add hops to the boil to add bitterness. You add hops after the boil for flavour. That's probably a little simplistic but that's what I am going on for now.

EDIT : to answer your actual question, I wouldn't think that the hops added to the boil would continue to add flavour because you remove them after the boil - either strain them out or take out the bag they were in.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4658 Times on 3383 Posts
Likes Given: 916

Once the hops are boiled, for whatever length of time, they don't impart any more flavor. You can strain them out going to the fermenter, or you could leave them in there, and not notice a difference in the end result. They are "used up", so to speak.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
SamHain
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah HibsMax Im a novice too(obviously)...In all my brews so far I have just left the hops in there...I may start using a strainer into my fermenter.

Thanks Yooper....

Old 04-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
HibsMax
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamHain View Post
Yeah HibsMax Im a novice too(obviously)...In all my brews so far I have just left the hops in there...I may start using a strainer into my fermenter.

Thanks Yooper....
When you strain you will need to be patient as the hops really clogs up the strainer. I usually stir the wort around in the strainer with a spoon to make gaps and allow the liquid to find a way through. The other option is to put your hops into a muslin bag (or some other bag) but up until now I've just dumped them right in there...but I might change that approach since (1) the straining issue mentioned before, and (2) the hops really gums up my wort chiller.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
SamHain
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
When you strain you will need to be patient as the hops really clogs up the strainer. I usually stir the wort around in the strainer with a spoon to make gaps and allow the liquid to find a way through. The other option is to put your hops into a muslin bag (or some other bag) but up until now I've just dumped them right in there...but I might change that approach since (1) the straining issue mentioned before, and (2) the hops really gums up my wort chiller.
Got it...thanks!

I see we are neighbors...what Brew Store do you use?

Do you use a siphon when you use the strainer or do you just pour into the strainer?

Old 04-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
SamHain
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Oh and on a similar note...

When dry hopping how long do the hops last before they stop departing the good flavors?

Old 04-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
HibsMax
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Got it...thanks!

I see we are neighbors...what Brew Store do you use?

Do you use a siphon when you use the strainer or do you just pour into the strainer?
I pour right from my brew pot through the strainer and into the fermenter. I think that the hops might clog up the siphon tube.

I use a couple of places. I started off with Beer and Wine Hobby in Woburn (http://www.beer-wine.com/) but there is another place I have started using in Nashua, Jasper's (http://www.boomchugalug.com/).

Old 04-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
HibsMax
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

When dry hopping how long do the hops last before they stop departing the good flavors?
I read in another thread today (don't have the link) that you want to dy hop for 1 to 2 weeks. I have only dry hopped one beer so far and it said 7 days.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4658 Times on 3383 Posts
Likes Given: 916

Quote:

I dryhop for 3-7 days usually, with my goal being around 5 days. Usually three days is enough (at room temperature) but I go for 5 to make sure! After 7 days, you can start to get a bit of grassy flavors in the beer but it usually don't get pronounced until after about 14 days. Again, this is at room temperature. Fridge temps take longer, so if you're dryhopping in a keg for example, it will take longer.

Quick Reply