Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Underpitched yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #11
jt43
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiBrewingSupplies
Since this was a high gravity beer, it's pretty certain that you'll need to pitch more yeast after moving it to a secondary. I'd recommend getting another yeast pack and doing a starter (do you know how to build a starter?). Aerate the starter REALLY well, then pitch at hi-krauesen to your batch. That should provide enough oxygen for the remaining work the new yeast has to do.

Just FYI, big beers like this need a LOT of yeast. One BRAND NEW (just made...) pack of WYEAST contains the POTENTIAL for 100 billion cells. A 1.080 beer needs around 540 billion cells...or 5 new packs. So, it would be a great idea to learn and do a yeast starter!
I haven't made a yeast starter yet, but I think I'm going to start from now on. Should I do the standard 2L starter or step it up to 4L?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 463 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt43

I haven't made a yeast starter yet, but I think I'm going to start from now on. Should I do the standard 2L starter or step it up to 4L?
Every beer will be different and a lot depends on the freshness of the yeast.

Visit Www.yeastcalc.com and you can plug in numbers for each batch you brew and it will calculate the starter size for you to achieve the proper pitch rate as well as any step ups you might need

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 02-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #13
MileHiBrewingSupplies
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I'd recommend 4 liters. I have some good starter instructions which I tried to attach for you here but it failed. I'll post a link for you tomorrow. Good luck!

Brew Hard!

The Brewers at Mile Hi Brewing Supplies

Old 02-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #14
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If you have good activity after day 2, I'd let it ride, but that is just me. I do IIPAs that hover around 1.080 and I use two packs of S-05 and I've had no problems hitting my FG within my targeted time.

Was it optimal? Dunno, but it made damn good beer. One thing I learned a long long time ago is don't f**k with it if you don't have to. You start second guessing and adding additional steps and changing things up mid swing you are going to have no idea what worked and what didn't.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #15
jt43
Recipes 

Here are the ingredients for the IPA any ideas why the OG came out so high?
7lbs of light dme
1lb Munich malt
1lb crystal 40l malt
30 HBUs of centennial hops added at 60 min
3 oz Cascade ( plan on dry hopping)
1tsp gypsum
1tsp Irish moss

Steeped the grains in three gallons of water. Once water began to boil removed the grains with a strainer. Added malt extract to wort once a boil started I added centennial hops, gypsum, and boiled for 50 min. At 50 min added Irish moss and continued for 10 min. Removed wort chilled to 68F then added wort to two gallons of water in primary topped of to 5 gallons and aerated. Took a gravity reading then pitched yeast. Sealed it up wit an airlock

Old 02-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #16
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Its been a long time since I brewed an extract, but I'm not tracking how 7#s of DME can give you an OG over over 1.080 with a 5 gal batch. I'd say you should be sitting around 1.060ish.

EDIT: let her ride, I wouldn't do a thing.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #17
jt43
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulgs3
Its been a long time since I brewed an extract, but I'm not tracking how 7#s of DME can give you an OG over over 1.080 with a 5 gal batch. I'd say you should be sitting around 1.060ish.
I know I looked at the hydrometer three times because I didn't believe it either. The only thing i can think of is that LHBS gave more DME then what is called for

Old 02-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #18
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

If it was me in your situation, just let it go. I worked with an awesome phd for years and the greatest thing she ever taught me was: "it is what it is".

Your beer will be fine.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #19
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt43 View Post

I know I looked at the hydrometer three times because I didn't believe it either. The only thing i can think of is that LHBS gave more DME then what is called for
My guess is poor mixture with the top off water, probably gave you an invalid OG. With extract, it's really hard to miss.

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:18 AM   #20
MileHiBrewingSupplies
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I agree with gcdowd...often times the water and wort don't mix well when doing partial boils like this. Now that we know you're true gravity is more likely around 1.051, you may well be ok. So sit tight, let your yeast do it's job, and see what you have in 2 to 3 weeks.

Paulgs3: Dry yeast packs have considerably more cells than liquid yeast, so 2 packs of US-05 would be right on for 1.080. 11.5 gram dry yeast packs contain around 200 billion cells, so 2 packs should be pretty close.

Brew Hard!

The Brewers at Mile Hi Brewing Supplies

Quick Reply