Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Underpitched yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
jt43
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Underpitched yeast

Okay, so after doing a little research I realized that I under pitched my yeast by 130,000,000 cells. The brew is on its second day of fermentation and the airlock is very active. Knowing that I under pitched should I make a starter with the same yeast strand ( wyeast northwest ale) and add it to the fermenter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
ktraver97ss
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Whats your batch size, OG, and yeast strain?

Kegged/bottled #1-Nut Brown #2-American Wheat IPA #3-Templetons Rye Barleywine #4-Belgian Wheat Wine #5-Belgian Wit

Old 02-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Did you mean 130 billion? 130 million is peanuts

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
ktraver97ss
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Edit, I see you put the yeast strain in there, oops. What about the gravity? Ill assume you just pitched one pack into a 5g batch.

Kegged/bottled #1-Nut Brown #2-American Wheat IPA #3-Templetons Rye Barleywine #4-Belgian Wheat Wine #5-Belgian Wit

Old 02-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 459 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt43
Okay, so after doing a little research I realized that I under pitched my yeast by 130,000,000 cells. The brew is on its second day of fermentation and the airlock is very active. Knowing that I under pitched should I make a starter with the same yeast strand ( wyeast northwest ale) and add it to the fermenter?
The cells you pitched already replicated and multiplied during the initial lag phase so really adding more yeast now would be a waste, IMO

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 02-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
MileHiBrewingSupplies
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

You have a couple of reasonable options: Get/grow more yeast and pitch it now or let the current yeast work it's way through fermentation, then asses the situation after 2-3 weeks of fermenting. If it were me, I'd wait to see the results then, if the FG is too high, move the beer to a secondary and re-pitch at that time. Many brewers only pitch one pack of liquid yeast and swear by the results...though pitching sufficient yeast cells will almost always make better beer.

Brew Hard!

The Brewers at Mile Hi Brewing Supplies

Old 02-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
jt43
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktraver97ss
Edit, I see you put the yeast strain in there, oops. What about the gravity? Ill assume you just pitched one pack into a 5g batch.
My OG was 1.086 The temp was 68f I pitched two packs of wyeast northwest ale which gave 2 billion yeast cells. They were both smacked threes hours prior being pitched and both pouches swelled like they should. I aerated by pouring the wort back and forth between two sanitized buckets ten times. 7 hours later I started to notice airlock activity.

The FG for this brew is supposed to be 1.010 and my OG was supposed to be 1.072. Don't know why the OG turned out so high.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
jt43
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiBrewingSupplies
You have a couple of reasonable options: Get/grow more yeast and pitch it now or let the current yeast work it's way through fermentation, then asses the situation after 2-3 weeks of fermenting. If it were me, I'd wait to see the results then, if the FG is too high, move the beer to a secondary and re-pitch at that time. Many brewers only pitch one pack of liquid yeast and swear by the results...though pitching sufficient yeast cells will almost always make better beer.
I think I will wait 4 more days then take a gravity reading and assess then. If I did add more yeast how would the lack of oxygen affect the respiration phase?

Old 02-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
jt43
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcdowd
Did you mean 130 billion? 130 million is peanuts
Yea I meant 130billion left off a few zeros

Old 02-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
MileHiBrewingSupplies
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Since this was a high gravity beer, it's pretty certain that you'll need to pitch more yeast after moving it to a secondary. I'd recommend getting another yeast pack and doing a starter (do you know how to build a starter?). Aerate the starter REALLY well, then pitch at hi-krauesen to your batch. That should provide enough oxygen for the remaining work the new yeast has to do.

Just FYI, big beers like this need a LOT of yeast. One BRAND NEW (just made...) pack of WYEAST contains the POTENTIAL for 100 billion cells. A 1.080 beer needs around 540 billion cells...or 5 new packs. So, it would be a great idea to learn and do a yeast starter!

Brew Hard!

The Brewers at Mile Hi Brewing Supplies

Quick Reply