Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Underpitched the Yeast??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
duffman2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Underpitched the Yeast??

Just brewed an Irish Red last night and pitched my one 6 oz pack of Munton Gold Yeast that I had. I figured that would be enough but then I looked at Mr Malty which recommended two 5 oz packs. It started bubbling at 4 hours and now at 12+ hours it is bubbling like crazy

My question is, even though I am definitely fermenting and may even get all of it, should I go out and get one more pack to throw in there just in case?

I think I remember people saying they'd rather overpitch slightly than underpitch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

At this point, there's no need to pitch more yeast. By the time the new yeast got active you wouldn't need it because the yeast that's in there would have multiplied sufficiently.

RDWHAHB, you did fine.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 12-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
duffman2
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkling View Post
At this point, there's no need to pitch more yeast. By the time the new yeast got active you wouldn't need it because the yeast that's in there would have multiplied sufficiently.

RDWHAHB, you did fine.
Thanks. The OG hit the mark at 1.052 and I felt good about one pack till I saw Mr Malty recommend 2. But I'm not too worried cause it is going real good right now!

Quick Reply