under pitching yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exbrit

Reaction score
Is it possible to not pitch enough yeast? I brewed my first (extract) batch with what i believe to be about 5 grams of safale s-04 . Withing 24 hours it was swirling away like mad and krausen threated to blow out of the airlock. Now 4 days after pitching things have slowed down to almost no air lock activity and not much yeast movement through the carboy.
Temps have been pretty consisently between 60 and 70 degrees since i brewed on friday

Is it possible to not pitch enough yeast? I brewed my first (extract) batch with what i believe to be about 5 grams of safale s-04 . Withing 24 hours it was swirling away like mad and krausen threated to blow out of the airlock. Now 4 days after pitching things have slowed down to almost no air lock activity and not much yeast movement through the carboy.
Temps have been pretty consisently between 60 and 70 degrees since i brewed on friday

Yes it is possible. But if you're worried about where you're at gravity wise, then grab a hydrometer and take a reading. It will tell you if your beer has fermented out. Though it will not be done within 4 days!

Sounds like your fermentation went great. No trouble with your yeast!

Either keep it in your primary or rack it to a secondary vessel for another two weeks or so. Then use your hydrometer and get ready to bottle!

Is it possible to not pitch enough yeast? I brewed my first (extract) batch with what i believe to be about 5 grams of safale s-04 . Withing 24 hours it was swirling away like mad and krausen threated to blow out of the airlock. Now 4 days after pitching things have slowed down

There is no set time period for how long it takes to ferment beer: though if you are pitching dry yeast with a lower OG wort, then it will be a fairly fast ferment (dry yeast has more yeast cells in the sample). Since you had an active ferment....sounds like what you'll wind up with is perfect beer! :mug:

Yup - sounds like all went well. 4 days is not strange at all. Plus - you are still fermenting, you just don't see it. All yeast and all brews are different with different looks, smell and speed,

Sounds like you had a beautiful fermentation! Just relax and let the beer set for a few days more, to let the yeast continue to do their job. Then you can decide if you want to secondary, or do like many of us do and leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks then bottle. Either way, just let the beer sit for a few more days.

Just becasue your airlock is slowing down, or even stops, doesn't mean the fermentation isn't still happening or the yeast still aren't working away diligently.

:mug:

It's definitely possible, but it doesn't sound like you did.

The one thing to keep in mind is if you decide to try liquid yeast in the future you'll need to make a starter. There are less yeast cells in a vial/pouch of liquid yeast than in a dry yeast packet.

For your current fermentation, though, what you described is totally normal. One packet of dry yeast will work fine with a five gallon batch.

Back