The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > under pitching yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 03:21 AM   #1
exbrit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default under pitching yeast

Is it possible to not pitch enough yeast? I brewed my first (extract) batch with what i believe to be about 5 grams of safale s-04 . Withing 24 hours it was swirling away like mad and krausen threated to blow out of the airlock. Now 4 days after pitching things have slowed down to almost no air lock activity and not much yeast movement through the carboy.
Temps have been pretty consisently between 60 and 70 degrees since i brewed on friday

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2009, 03:30 AM   #2
WorryWort
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exbrit View Post
Is it possible to not pitch enough yeast? I brewed my first (extract) batch with what i believe to be about 5 grams of safale s-04 . Withing 24 hours it was swirling away like mad and krausen threated to blow out of the airlock. Now 4 days after pitching things have slowed down to almost no air lock activity and not much yeast movement through the carboy.
Temps have been pretty consisently between 60 and 70 degrees since i brewed on friday
Yes it is possible. But if you're worried about where you're at gravity wise, then grab a hydrometer and take a reading. It will tell you if your beer has fermented out. Though it will not be done within 4 days!

In Kegs - Barley Wine, Apfelwein, Wild BlackBerry Wheat, Coffee Oatmeal Porter

Gone - so many :(

Old 09-02-2009, 03:36 AM   #3
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 866 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 1921

Sounds like your fermentation went great. No trouble with your yeast!

Either keep it in your primary or rack it to a secondary vessel for another two weeks or so. Then use your hydrometer and get ready to bottle!

Old 09-02-2009, 04:16 AM   #4
mr_clean
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like its done grab the hydrometer.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:56 AM   #5
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by exbrit View Post
Is it possible to not pitch enough yeast? I brewed my first (extract) batch with what i believe to be about 5 grams of safale s-04 . Withing 24 hours it was swirling away like mad and krausen threated to blow out of the airlock. Now 4 days after pitching things have slowed down
There is no set time period for how long it takes to ferment beer: though if you are pitching dry yeast with a lower OG wort, then it will be a fairly fast ferment (dry yeast has more yeast cells in the sample). Since you had an active ferment....sounds like what you'll wind up with is perfect beer!
On the Bench: Racer 5 IPA

"One of the first things early caveman did, when he crawled out of the mudd, was to make beer. And cavemen everywhere are still making beer...and drinking beer." - Jean Sheperd

Old 09-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yup - sounds like all went well. 4 days is not strange at all. Plus - you are still fermenting, you just don't see it. All yeast and all brews are different with different looks, smell and speed,

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Sounds like you had a beautiful fermentation! Just relax and let the beer set for a few days more, to let the yeast continue to do their job. Then you can decide if you want to secondary, or do like many of us do and leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks then bottle. Either way, just let the beer sit for a few more days.

Just becasue your airlock is slowing down, or even stops, doesn't mean the fermentation isn't still happening or the yeast still aren't working away diligently.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #8
cobalt60
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's definitely possible, but it doesn't sound like you did.

The one thing to keep in mind is if you decide to try liquid yeast in the future you'll need to make a starter. There are less yeast cells in a vial/pouch of liquid yeast than in a dry yeast packet.

For your current fermentation, though, what you described is totally normal. One packet of dry yeast will work fine with a five gallon batch.

Quick Reply