Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Under-Pitching?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
jsiesener
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

Default Under-Pitching?

Is under pitching not adding enough yeast or is it not stiring the yeast properly/oxygenating it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

not pitching enough yeast it really has nothing to do with aerating. However, yeast need oxygen to multiple so it can influence the total cell count, but underpitching is the initial amount of yeast pitch into the wort. Not the total amount of yeast the beer will multiple out to. Most online calculators take into account yeast multiplication factors.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 628 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 168

For an average five gallon batch you need in the neighborhood of 200-250 million yeast cells. A packet of dry yeast contain enough to do the job. Liquid yeast packages do not. They have about 100 million when very fresh.

So, if you use liquid yeast and do not make a starter and instead, just pitch a vial/pouch, you do not have enough yeast - under pitching.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
jsiesener
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyBrew View Post
not pitching enough yeast it really has nothing to do with aerating. However, yeast need oxygen to multiple so it can influence the total cell count, but underpitching is the initial amount of yeast pitch into the wort. Not the total amount of yeast the beer will multiple out to. Most online calculators take into account yeast multiplication factors.
Thank you

Old 10-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
jsiesener
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyBrew View Post
So how should I long should I stir the yeast to aerate or is there an additional method that is better?

Old 10-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsiesener View Post
So how should I long should I stir the yeast to aerate or is there an additional method that is better?
You don't stir the yeast. You stir the wort, before pitching the yeast. Some brewers have little oxygen cylinders to give a blast of oxygen to the wort, while some stir/shake/agitate the wort. Either works. If you're hand aerating, you can pour and splash the wort going into the fermenter, and then shake or stir it until it's nice and foamy. Then add the yeast and cover and airlock.
jsiesener Likes This 
Old 10-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
jsiesener
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
You don't stir the yeast. You stir the wort, before pitching the yeast. Some brewers have little oxygen cylinders to give a blast of oxygen to the wort, while some stir/shake/agitate the wort. Either works. If you're hand aerating, you can pour and splash the wort going into the fermenter, and then shake or stir it until it's nice and foamy. Then add the yeast and cover and airlock.
So on this first batch I siphoned the wort from my pot to primary fermenter and then stirred in the yeast which obviously I did wrong. So what I should have done is poured the wort from the pot through my strainer into the primary bucket to aerate it and then sprinkle(pitch) the yeast over the surface and let sit not stir. Could my process have ruined my batch.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
For an average five gallon batch you need in the neighborhood of 200-250 million yeast cells. A packet of dry yeast contain enough to do the job. Liquid yeast packages do not. They have about 100 million when very fresh.

So, if you use liquid yeast and do not make a starter and instead, just pitch a vial/pouch, you do not have enough yeast - under pitching.
I think you mean billion, not million, both for the number of cells required and the number of cells in a vial/smack pack.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #9
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 628 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
I think you mean billion, not million, both for the number of cells required and the number of cells in a vial/smack pack.

-a.
DOH!

You're right! Can I blame it on my typing?

Quick Reply