Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Under 5 Gallons After Boil and Weird Stuff Floating Around

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 02:31 AM   #1
Soilworker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Under 5 Gallons After Boil and Weird Stuff Floating Around

Hey Everyone,

So I just did my first extract brew (well I did one about 3 years ago but this is the first one since then) and I have some concerns. I'm making the extract White House Honey Ale kit from Northern Brewer with specialty grains.

I started with 6.2 gallons of water but due to boil off i actually ended up around 4-4.5 gallons. My OG was 1.065 and I was targeting 1.062 but I'll attribute the higher OG to the boil off. I'm worried that after I rack off the trub I'll only have about 3 gallons of beer. Should I still rack to secondary or just bottle after 2-3 weeks in primary? Is the low volume something to be worried about?

I'm also worried about all the junk that ended up in the carboy. During the boil I noticed a lot of chunks floating around after I added the DME, LME, and hops and now its all settled in the carboy. I'm also worried I steeped the specialty grains incorrectly and maybe that's causing it. The instructions said to leave them in until the temp reached 175F. so I did that but they seemed mushy and I'm worried I just got unconverted starches and those are just floating around now.

Thoughts? Will it still turn out OK. Everything else seemed to go pretty well.

Secondary: West Flanders Red, Golden Sour, Saison Brett #2 with Brett custersianus and Brett naardenensis, Saison Brett #1 with Brett bruxellensis

On Deck: 100% Brett IPA, West Flanders Red #2 with ECY BugFarm

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 03:49 AM   #2
Shred
Non-Recovering Alcoholic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 197

It'll all settle out fine. Why are you planning to rack before bottling? Unless you plan to add additional fermentables (fruit, etc...) no need for secondary.

- Shred

Check out my blog!
www.ShredsHomebrews.com

On Tap: Shred's Saison

Primary 1: Cornholio's Bunghole Surprise
Primary 2: Necromantic Amber Ale
Primary 3: Wooden Tongue Oatmeal Stout
Primary 4: Blaze's 50th B-Day Grapefruit IPA
Primary 5: TC's Torrontes
Secondary 1: Lambic-Style Sour Ale
Secondary 2: Sara's Chianti

Old 05-15-2013, 04:15 AM   #3
Soilworker
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I just heard that secondary was necessary for the beer to finish up properly and clear nicely. Thanks for the response.

Secondary: West Flanders Red, Golden Sour, Saison Brett #2 with Brett custersianus and Brett naardenensis, Saison Brett #1 with Brett bruxellensis

On Deck: 100% Brett IPA, West Flanders Red #2 with ECY BugFarm

Old 05-15-2013, 04:40 AM   #4
kingogames
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 109

+1 Sounds like you're fine.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1954 Times on 1713 Posts
Likes Given: 1447

You don't need to rack to secondary to clear the beer. But you can if you want. It's up to personal preference,really. I don't rack to secondary unless oaking or something. Sounds like you had the heat to high & got to hard of a boil to boil off that much liquid. Turn the boil down a little to where it's rolling,but not too aggressively. I did that,& only boil off about 1/2 gallon over a 1 hour boil. You basically want to have 5 to 5.5 gallons left at the end of the boil for a 5 gallon batch on a full boil.

Quick Reply