Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Undecided about witch primary to use. Plastic or glass ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
BronxBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Undecided about witch primary to use. Plastic or glass ?

So far I have two brews in the bottle. One with the kit primary "glass 5gal" and the second in a plastic bucket. My brew day is tomarrow. I have a smal starter started. Making a Autum amber ale from Midwest "extract kit". My first brew "Amber ale" I rushed a bit "drinking as I'm typing, it's awsome". It was in the 5gal glass carboy. My second batch was a wheat beer in a 6.5gal bucket.

Although the bucket seemed fine "short fermintation 2weeks". The Autumn amber ale I'm about to do calls for 6 weeks. Some how I'm thinking longer than 4 weeks would be better in the glass than plastic ? I don't rack to secondary's . Unless dry hopping or adding something. For some reason I didn't feel comfortable with the bucket ?

Since this is going to be a possible 4 week fermintation . In a Freezintation chamber with controller. glass or plastic ?

BB

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

plastic, nothing to worry about with plastic.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 459 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Doesn't matter, they both work fine. I've never used glass carboys, I use buckets for primary and Better Bottles for secondary, when I actually use a secondary I will say a 5 gallon carboy is a little small for a 5 gallon batch, no head space so if that's the route you go be sure to use a blow off!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 08-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
BronxBrew
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Definlty would use a blow off " I do with every batch now" .

Old 08-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1904 Times on 1677 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

Plastic will be fine. I've had ales in plastic for up to 5 weeks with no problems.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The only time i don't use a blowoff is when I'm making cider, apfelwein, or skeeterpee. And i did have to change out my airlock for a clean one on my batch of apfelwein, because it did eject krausen the first day, with red star premier cuvee yeast.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I prefer plastic, since it's cheaper, lighter, and safer.

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Old 08-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I am using all glass fermenters so far. But i admit to some concerns about durability. One of my 6gal carboys (paklab from amazon) got used exactly once. Dunno what happened but when i lifted it, empty, out of my plastic utility sink where I'd been cleaning it, there was a crack all the way around the bottom except for about one inch. I set it carefully on the floor and tapped that inch with some tool i had handy and the bottom broke clean off, so i put both pieces in a cardboard box and put that in the trash.

I have a lot more confidence in my 3 used industrial chemical carboys. The new production ones for-brewing, I am concerned that perhaps they are just recycled window glass and not very strong. But when someone puts phenol or nitric acid in a glass carboy, they have a severe need to be confident in the packaging. I'm just annoyed that my acid carboys are 18L and don't fit a full 5 gallon batch. The 6.5g phenol carboy holds 7 gallons easy and is already my favorite primary after a single batch.

Quick Reply