Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > UH OH, sanitation problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
KENfromMI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default UH OH, sanitation problem?

While brewing in a hurry I accidently made a mistake. I racked my beer from primaries to secondaries and had two empty ale pales. I rinsed both with hot water and one I washed expecting to use it right away. I then sanitized one with one step (the wrong one) and put my new batch of beer in it. I realized after I was done I used the one that only had a hot water rinse and a one step wash and not the one that was washed more thoroughly. I know there is no guarantees but do you guys think I have a better chance of being ok then not being ok? Hate to think I've ruined my first attempt at a pumpkin ale. Its in it's first day of fermentation, anything I can do other then just ride it out and find out on Halloween if it's ruined? Thanks in advance, Ken

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
Turkeyfoot Jr.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Were both pails fairly clean, no caked on gunked or anything? I'd say if both were clean, as in you washed them after the last time you used them, the hot water rinse and one step were all you needed. The extra scrubbing probably wasn't necessary.

On another note, from reading your post it sounds like your beer has been fermenting for just one day and you're transfering it. If that's the case that's way too early. You should really leave it in the primary at least a week and preferrably 2-3 weeks before considering a secondary.

Primary: EMPTY!
Bottled:
Kegged: Turkeyfoot English Mild

Old 08-22-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
bsay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't know about One-Step, but most sanitizers are effective if there is no visible "gunk" on whatever you are sanitizing. You're fine, don't worry about it.

Check out my Homebrewery Virtual Tour!

Who says you can't brew all-grain indoors?
Brewing 2.5 gal batches with a 2gal cooler MLT in my cramped apartment. Pictures coming soon!

Ask me about my Keezer/2.5 gal brew setup!

Old 08-22-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3165 Times on 3070 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Ride it out. If you washed and rinsed well and there wasn't any gunk stuck to the insides of the bucket you should be fine. The beer might not last for years but should be fine for a batch that you drink up.

Remember, brewers had been making beer for hundreds of years before "sanitizing" was ever though of. Most didn't even brew in a "clean" environment.

RDWHAHB!

Old 08-22-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
MCH
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeyfoot Jr. View Post

On another note, from reading your post it sounds like your beer has been fermenting for just one day and you're transfering it. If that's the case that's way too early. You should really leave it in the primary at least a week and preferrably 2-3 weeks before considering a secondary.
Actually, I think he's saying he racked into the primary. So its really in the first day of fermentation.
You see every drink of liquor you take kills a thousand brain cells. Now that doesn't much matter 'cos we got billions more. And first the sadness cells die so you smile real big. And then the quiet cells go so you just say everything real loud for no reason at all. That'ok, that's ok because the stupid cells go next, so everything you say is real smart. And finally, come the memory cells. These are tough SOBs to kill.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #6
KENfromMI
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick replies. Yes, i poured not racked into primary, i racked from the primary on my last batches to my secondaries, had two empty buckets one a little more clean then the other, no gunk inside, wiped off all the gunk on both with hot water and a soft cloth, washed one better to use right away , then grabbed the one not so clean, sanitized it with one step only and brewed my new batch instead of using the double cleaned one, Ken

Old 08-22-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3165 Times on 3070 Posts
Likes Given: 173

So it's wiped out, rinsed, and sanitized with one step and didn't have and gunk in it?

Sounds like you did everything right.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:25 PM   #8
Brewmando
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you worried about the One Step - I've used it since day one as my primary sanitizer and even rinse with hot tap water and have never had a problem. (Knocking sound)

Quick Reply