Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > types of water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
wadelo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default types of water

I was wondering if there is that big of a difference using tap water compared to like bottled water that you buy in gallons at the store.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4821 Times on 4425 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Depends on what your Municipal Water provider is working with.

There can be drastic differences.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yes, water plays a big role for a ton of reasons. If you have a carbon filter on your water system, its probably ok. Many will say they brew with tap water and its all fine, and it may be. Try this, brew two batches, use your tap water for one batch, and bottled water for the other batch.

Chlorine will go away if you heat your water, but now with the chloramines in water they say it wont go away, so now I am just paranoid and wont risk making a batch taste funny.

A whole book could be wrote on water chemistry and how it affects beer, I just choose to use RO water and adding salts back or just use good old bottled water that taste and smells fine to me, then I dont have to worry about it.

Campden tablets remove chlorine I have proved this with test from where I work. But I don't add them, because I really have not proved to myself that the campden tablets dont affect the beer. I try to eliminate all the stuff that makes me paranoid.
The water where I live, does not taste good, and has a ton of chlorine in it, so I just choose to stay away from it. good Luck

Quick Reply