Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > types of beers that dont need 48 hours of fridge time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
johnsmh2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default types of beers that dont need 48 hours of fridge time

What types of beers don't need to be in fridge for a couple days to help settle out the yeast? I'm assuming Weizens would be one?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Filtered and artificially-carbonated ones.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Most of my beers don't get 48+ hours of fridge time before I crack them open. I have never thought they tasted better/worse from extended time in the fridge as long as they are drank at the right temp.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2778 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

It's not a rule, it's just a suggestion to let your beers chill for a couple days before drinking them. The longer you chill them the clearer they get, the tighter the yeast cake gets, and more importantly upwards of a week can get rid of chill haze. You can stick them in a freezer for a couple hours if it floats your canoe, but like just about everything else in brewing a little MORE patience has some benefits.

Though cold does help set the carbonation.

If you hate that little bit of yeast sediment and having to leave your beer behind, try leaving you beer in the fridge for a month or three, you can upend the bottle and not get one drop of yeast in them.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-19-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
donjonson
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
It's not a rule, it's just a suggestion to let your beers chill for a couple days before drinking them. The longer you chill them the clearer they get, the tighter the yeast cake gets, and more importantly upwards of a week can get rid of chill haze. You can stick them in a freezer for a couple hours if it floats your canoe, but like just about everything else in brewing a little MORE patience has some benefits.

Though cold does help set the carbonation.

If you hate that little bit of yeast sediment and having to leave your beer behind, try leaving you beer in the fridge for a month or three, you can upend the bottle and not get one drop of yeast in them.....
how does leaving them in the fridge for 3 months affect the taste and body?

Old 11-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2778 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjonson View Post
how does leaving them in the fridge for 3 months affect the taste and body?
Never said it does.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply