Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Type of extract flavoring?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
rob-1814
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Type of extract flavoring?

Would there be any difference to the taste of your beer if you were to use Mccormicks extract flavoring from a local grocery store as compared to one made especially for beer from my LHBS?

Is the homebrewery flavoring different from the cooking/desert flavoring?

Thanks, Rob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
Dolemite78
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have wondered the same thing and almost recently posted the exact question. I have no idea on the answer, however I would assume there are only minor differences. In leiu of asking the question I decided I would do some trial and error and find out for myself. I bottled a batch of Honey Wheat last week and added Raspberry extract (store bought McCormicks) to half, and Strawberry (also store bought) to the remainder. Last night I sampled both and was pleasently surprised with the results. While the beer was still noticeably "green" in flavor, both extracts really came through. I even added a little extra Strawberry to my glass for an over the top taste.

I've read a lot of complaints about "artificial" tastes from extracts, which I myself don't mind, or haven't really experienced. I think if you want the true sweetness then the syrups are probably your best bet, although this may lead to a more artificial taste. If you just want to have the aroma and a subtle hint of the flavor, I would think store bought extracts may be better. One thing I did notice while adding more is that it can start to get bitter.

Again I'm no expert, most of these assumptions are just based off my palatte and thoughts. I'm sure some of the experts will come to your aid here shortly, with much more informed opinions.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Flavor extracts are all pretty much the same, whether they are MARKETED as food flavoring, beer flavoring, or whatever. The only think is that the extracts marketed as beer flavorings often have recommended dosing instructions, whereas you might have to experiment a little with the right dosing if you buy one marketed as something other than beer flavoring.

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - EMPTY!
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Cherry Wood Smoked Cider
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 08-27-2011, 12:59 AM   #4
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Store bought extracts are mostly alcohol. I wonder about what alcohol they use.

Quick Reply