Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Two questions - primary fermentation and off-smell

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
frtrey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Two questions - primary fermentation and off-smell

So, my first batch of beer, I used a yeast starter (kit came with a smack-pack, not dry yeast) The first two days it bubbled like mad. Today it is down to a gurgle every 45 seconds or so- is it ever the case that primary fermenation will take less than a week?

Secondly - there is an off smell in the bubbler (vodka in the bubbler) but when it does gurgle there is a decidedly sweet beer-y smell. Is this cause for concern or do I just go with it?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Euripidez
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Read the sticky on "Ruined Beer"

It helped me with a lot of my anxieties
I would say yours is probably fine. What kind of beer is it? What makes you think the sweet "beer-y" smell is bad? I love sniffing airlocks.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
frtrey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euripidez
Read the sticky on "Ruined Beer"

It helped me with a lot of my anxieties
I would say yours is probably fine. What kind of beer is it? What makes you think the sweet "beer-y" smell is bad? I love sniffing airlocks.
No the air lock has a decidedly bad smell. Not sure how to describe it. But when it does gurgle the bad smell is displaced by the sweet beery smell.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I don't know what an airlock smells like, I've never done that. The bubbling is not an indication of anything but excess CO2, your fermentation continues long past any bubbling you will see. Monitoring your gravity is the only way to monitor your fermentation. The only reasonable visual sign of the end of fermentation is when the yeast flocs out and the beer clears. Even then, the yeast will continue to cleanup for another 48 hours or so.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 11-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Most of my beers ferment out in 3 days or less, but I still leave them in the fermenter for at least 3 days after they are finished. With cooler fermentation temperatures, it takes a bit longer so often a 62 degree fermentation will take 5 days or thereabouts. I normally package my beers at about day 10-14, even if fermentation ends much sooner.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2112 Times on 1850 Posts
Likes Given: 1557

Maybe it's the beers' aromas mixing with the vodka that smells bad. Then the co2 bubbles through,& you smell fermenting beer. It also sounds like it's just initial fermentation getting done. It'll uneventfully,slowly creep down to FG from there.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
agcorry00
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Also, what was your OG? Your yeasties will handle an ordinary bitter differently than they will a barley wine.

"We don't sell Duff, we sell Fudd."

Old 11-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
frtrey
Recipes 

I don't fear many things, but the hydrometer is something I didn't use. I don't even have a beer thief. I've got to pick up some PBW and starsan at Austin Brewing supply- I suppose i'll add a hydrometer and thief for the next go around.

Essentially it is a scottish brown ale with additions of mulling spices and orange peel. I'm planning on letting it sit tomorrow and moving to secondary on Tuesday. The beer has cleared out as of late last night. (It is in the guest bathroom and I pass it everytime I go to the computer room...)

Old 11-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
buttcord
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

There is really no reason to move it to secondary unless you are looking for better odds of getting an infection or oxidizing your beer.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
agcorry00
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by frtrey
I don't fear many things, but the hydrometer is something I didn't use. I don't even have a beer thief. I've got to pick up some PBW and starsan at Austin Brewing supply- I suppose i'll add a hydrometer and thief for the next go around.

Essentially it is a scottish brown ale with additions of mulling spices and orange peel. I'm planning on letting it sit tomorrow and moving to secondary on Tuesday. The beer has cleared out as of late last night. (It is in the guest bathroom and I pass it everytime I go to the computer room...)
You can save money and use oxyclean instead of PBW. (edit: corrected autocomplete)

"We don't sell Duff, we sell Fudd."

Quick Reply