The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Two out of three batches turned out "sour" is well water to blame?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2010, 07:14 PM   #11
pericles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If the well water is really right out of the ground, and you're using ANY of it unboiled, then that's definitely a possible source of infection.

The head retention problem is caused by your use of soap. Soap kills beer, especially the head. And no matter how well you rinse, there's always some left.

Kegged: American Wheat
Bottled: Belgian Golden Ale.
Planning: American Amber

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2010, 07:32 PM   #12
Chaddyb
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for all the good info, I will try to revise how I clean, and sanitize things, and I will try different water also. I guess it may just take a few batches to get the hang of things, but then again, the best way to learn is to mess it up, I'm just glad there are knowledgeable people on here that can answer questions.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:36 PM   #13
Chaddyb
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Another question, when I clean my equipment, I use the same sponge, I dont use it for anything but cleaning beer equipment, could the sponge be a possible source of infection?

Quick Reply