Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Two-Hearted Ale Clone Recipe... Hop Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
DawgBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Two-Hearted Ale Clone Recipe... Hop Question

I'm going to brew the Northern Brewer Dead Ringer extract kit soon. I have never brewed it before but love the commercial version. The recipe calls for only centennial hops. I was wondering if anyone knows if this is the same hop profile as the Bells Two Hearted that it is based off of. The recipe calls for:

1 oz @ 60 mins
1 oz @ 20 mins
2 oz @ 5 mins
1 oz dry hop

Has anyone brewed this recipe kit with other hops? How does it currently compare to the commercial version?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 01:18 AM   #2
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here is a very popular clone recipe from the HBT data base.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/bell...ey-come-91488/

For all practical purposes the hop additions are almost identicle. So I'd say yes this hop profile fits the Bells Two Hearted profile.

If you change the hops you may very well have a tasty beer, but it will no longer be in the Bell's style.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 07-27-2011, 01:19 AM   #3
vitrael
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bells is all Centennial. I thought that the hop schedule for the Dead Ringer kit was okay but I upped the bittering addition a little and moved the 20 minute to 15.

It's better than Bell's, probably, because the aroma is going to be so improved by your dry hopping.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:26 AM   #4
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Zymurgy magazine had a different clone recipe. It is in this thread a little ways down.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/two-...t-time-258674/

Old 09-10-2014, 01:03 AM   #5
jhowa
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgBrewer View Post
I'm going to brew the Northern Brewer Dead Ringer extract kit soon. I have never brewed it before but love the commercial version. The recipe calls for only centennial hops. I was wondering if anyone knows if this is the same hop profile as the Bells Two Hearted that it is based off of. The recipe calls for:

1 oz @ 60 mins
1 oz @ 20 mins
2 oz @ 5 mins
1 oz dry hop

Has anyone brewed this recipe kit with other hops? How does it currently compare to the commercial version?

dead ringer is pretty "dead on" numbers are not that far off. great beer either way. Bells uses their own yeast so to get the exact beer , you wont. dead ringer is pretty close

Old 09-10-2014, 01:11 AM   #6
thefost
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I'd go with the recipe from here:
http://seanterrill.com/2010/06/28/tha-cloning/

He is one of the more scientific brewers out there, and if he says his results are identical, I'd believe him. I'm going with his recipe when I try it next month.

Quick Reply