Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Two batches that have been sitting in a fermenter for 8 months.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
persinger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Two batches that have been sitting in a fermenter for 8 months.

As the title says, I have two batches of brew, one a classic red ale and the other an apple porter experiment, that have been sitting in their fermenters for about 8 months now.

The red ale is in a glass carboy and developed a light dusting of white 'mold' on the top... this was due to my wife pulling off the airlock accidentally a few months back, and the porter is sitting in a ale pail... it's airlock has not been compromised.

I've been distracted with work, my kid, moving, and all sorts of crap for this past month, so I haven't had a chance to get them bottled, and I'm wondering if after these 8 months, they'd be worth bottling at all?

If so, should I add another dose of yeast along with the priming sugar?

Any advise is appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2008, 11:45 PM   #2
bearkluttz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah, it's ruined, send it to Evan! for proper disposal

but seriously. Not too sure about the one with the mold... taste it then decide. might as well bottle the porter and see what happens. i'll let the other more experienced people help with the repitching though.

"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!" FC1(SW) Ruben Serrato

Primary: Polar Bear Pale Ale
Secondary: Red Haired Black Bear Stout
Apfelwein Carboy:
Apple/White Cranberry Hybrid
Bottled: EdWorts Apfelwein;RPA Red Panda Ale; Kodiak Brown

Old 09-03-2008, 11:49 PM   #3
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

You won't know a thing until you smell and taste both batches. I'd carefully rack to a bottling bucket and have a taste. If it tastes and smells fine, go ahead and bottle. You'll probably suck up some of the yeast when you rack (it's hard to avoid it all) but adding a bit of fresh yeast wouldn't hurt. Personally, I doubt it would be necessary.

The mold on your red ale is probably nothing to worry about, just rack from under it. Now I don't like the idea of leaving the porter in an ale pail for that long, but it may be fine. But don't dump either without sampling them, you may be surprised.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:50 PM   #4
DuffmanAK
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Were they in thier primaries for 8 months, or you racked em to a secondary?

The only, only time you should dump a brew is if you've finished it, bottled and aged it, tried it and nearly vomited, aged it for twice that long again, tried it again and nearly vomited again. It's damn hard to ruin beer. I've managed once.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:58 PM   #5
persinger
Recipes 

Man, you guys are quick.

Just pulled a sample from both. The porter is likely going to be marked up as an experimental loss. Has a really weird and STRONG flavor.. bananas and fingernail polish remover.

The red ale, however, tastes pretty delicious. Last time I tasted this one, it was very watered down and barely flavored. Now it's carrying some flavors that I wouldn't quite describe as robust but are very much more noticeable.

The porter was sitting in a primary and the red had been racked to the carboy for secondary fermentation.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:42 AM   #6
dcott
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by persinger View Post
bananas and fingernail polish remover.
Esters and Acetone... What temp did you ferment at?
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

~Jack Handey

Old 09-04-2008, 01:29 PM   #7
persinger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcott View Post
Esters and Acetone... What temp did you ferment at?
Was sitting in the closet of an centrally air-conditioned apartment. I believe I had the thermostat set at around 70 at the time.

Quick Reply