Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Twist Top Capped Bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
Suddy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Twist Top Capped Bottles

Is there any issues with using these types of bottles with my capper?

Suddy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
TheTower
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Depends who you ask. I try to only use non-twist-offs. Some people have reported a loss of carbonation due to a bad seal. I actually just used one because I didn't notice it and went ahead and sanitized it. Then it was sitting there ready to go, so I used it. Call it a personal experiment if you will.

Bottom line, they can be used, it's a personal choice.

TreeTop Brewing

Primary:
Bottled: ESB, Belgian Pale, Belgian Dubbel, Pumpkin Ale, Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Chile Pepper Porter

Old 04-14-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
Boodlemania
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The red hand-capper that comes with most kits will not grip the sides of a twist-off bottle sufficiently to re-cap. At least mine won't, as I inadvertently got a twist-off from a buddy mixed into my homebrew bottles.

- CStone

Old 04-14-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
Figbash
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

They may or may not seal properly. It's not worth risking a batch of beer when lipped bottles are so readily available. Try your local beverage store. Most I've talked to will sell them to you for the price of deposit. It helps to buy something from them before asking.

Tom

Old 04-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've broken a couple twist top bottles trying to cap them with a hand capper. I have heard that they work OK with bench cappers.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 04-14-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
twig
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think the glass at the top of twist-offs is thinner than on pry-off bottles, so you have to be pretty careful to avoid breaking them. We've got 2 different wing cappers and have used them both with twist-offs 'cause I haven't managed to accumulate enough good bottles yet. The newer capper (my buddy's) usually breaks a couple of twist-off bottles per batch. The older wing capper (yard sale special) breaks fewer bottles, but when one breaks it's very difficult to remove the cap and broken glass from the capper - literally 10 minutes of chipping away at the glass until I can get a grip on the edge of the cap with some pliers. My buddy has reported a couple of bottles that didn't seal well (twist-offs done with the newer capper) but I've yet to come across one.

I'd say they're fine to use in a pinch (be careful capping) but pry-offs are definitely preferable.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
blowmax10
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a bench capper and have done a couple of experiments with the twist offs

seems like they sealed ok - but with as much work as I put into my brew I would hate to lose some just because I used the twist offs and not the pry tops

Old 04-14-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
Powchekny
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figbash View Post
They may or may not seal properly. It's not worth risking a batch of beer when lipped bottles are so readily available. Try your local beverage store. Most I've talked to will sell them to you for the price of deposit. It helps to buy something from them before asking.
I've gotten whole cases of Sam Adams empties from a local liquor store. Most of the staff at these places seem to be interested in my homebrewing, so I usually have a fun conversation in the bargain.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
Suddy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powchekny View Post
I've gotten whole cases of Sam Adams empties from a local liquor store. Most of the staff at these places seem to be interested in my homebrewing, so I usually have a fun conversation in the bargain.
I am a bartender on the weekends. So, I do have access to some bottles, mostly twist offs. Now if I could only get people to improve their taste in beer........

I am going to make it my mission to push some sam adams this weekend.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #10
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

On a side note: I noticed red stripe in a 24oz bottle the other day at the beer store. It would be nice to have a bunch of those.

Put yourself on the Homebrewers Map see the forum thread

My ridiculously easy stir plate buildMy Kegerator

Quick Reply