Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Twist off bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #11
TheBaconator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah if nothing else, the process of emptying the full bottles is great!

Primary: Pecan Sandy Porter
Secondary:
Barrel: a ton of brett
Tap 1: Belgian Saison
Tap 2: American Porter

Next in line: Belgian Blonde

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
rfoneill
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I uses mostly twist off bottles and have never had any issues. I have been trying to weed them out but it is tough

Old 01-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #13
Cultkid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I've capped 4 batches of beer with twist-offs so far, and they've all sealed fine. Carbonated perfectly, and hey, they're easy to twist off! I think it's a little bit of fear of the unknown... so far, I've had no leaks or flat beer.

That being said, I use an upright capper, and not a wing capper... so maybe that makes a difference. I don't know. I'm also new to home brewing, so feel free to ignore my advice.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #14
christopherbailey
Recipes 

I recently came into a bunch of 'shorty's' (Thanks, Rhinelander!) and was thinking how nice it would be to have a nip rather than get whacked over the head by a high ABV homebrew. I know I am just starting out, and I have a collection of non-twists to get me going, but I'm going to chance it. I have seen "go ahead" and "don't do it" and given the dispute, I figure it's at least worth a try.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
KepowOb
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherbailey
I recently came into a bunch of 'shorty's' (Thanks, Rhinelander!) and was thinking how nice it would be to have a nip rather than get whacked over the head by a high ABV homebrew. I know I am just starting out, and I have a collection of non-twists to get me going, but I'm going to chance it. I have seen "go ahead" and "don't do it" and given the dispute, I figure it's at least worth a try.
The first time around, why not just bottle a 12-pack or so in the twist offs... At least if it doesn't work out, you won't be loosing your entire batch. And why does the homebrew have to be high ABV?

Drinking: Orange Saison
Bottle conditioning: APA
Fermenting: RIS

Old 07-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #16
JDGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryJohn View Post
I've used a wing-capper on twist offs with no problems to report.
i tested a few on the weekend and they seal good. but the caps would come off the bottle very easy!! i think bumping the cap and it would come off.

i won't be capping twist offs. i do know that the LHBS uses twist offs all the time.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:12 AM   #17
christopherbailey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KepowOb View Post
The first time around, why not just bottle a 12-pack or so in the twist offs... At least if it doesn't work out, you won't be loosing your entire batch. And why does the homebrew have to be high ABV?
Actually I have several cases ready to go ... Great Lakes, Southern Tier and Philadelphia Brewing, I thank you.

I simply enjoyed ... surprisingly so ... the shorty's. They won't be the first I use, but they aren't going to be recycled straight away either.

As to the high ABV comment, you're correct, that was a rather newb comment for me to make. I just get the sense from a lot of folks I know that they want to make the biggest brew possible ... and frankly, I'm fine with holding off on higher ABVs until, oh, February.

Reason: add ABV comment

Quick Reply