Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Twist off bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
jwheelz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Twist off bottles?

So....I've been receiving bottles from all my friends and family. It never occurred to me, that some are twist off and some are not. I've bottled 4 batches with several twist off bottles mixed in.

I've located several of the filled bottles with the twist top and checked the cap. everything seems secure, no leaks when I turn it upside down.

I'm using the standard hand held "winged capper" with regular bottle caps. Is there any real concern here? Should I continue using any bottles I can get? or should I stay away from twist top bottles? Thanks.

Primary - Chuckanut Brown Ale
Primary - Sacred Cow IPA
Secondary - Blackberry Wooley Porter

On Tap - Northwest Passage Ale, Mac and Jack Clone
Bottled - Coopers Stout Kit, Coopers Dark Ale Kit, Red Tide E.S.B., Freedom Fighter Scotch Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
TheBaconator
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd steer clear of twist off's. I've always heard that the cappers don't work with them. That being said I've also never tried it. If you have capped some twist offs and they're not leaking, you're probably fine. I'd just rotate those out and replace with non-twist off bottles in the future.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
SatelliteGuy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaconator View Post
I'd steer clear of twist off's. I've always heard that the cappers don't work with them. That being said I've also never tried it. If you have capped some twist offs and they're not leaking, you're probably fine. I'd just rotate those out and replace with non-twist off bottles in the future.
+1

I used mostly twist-offs for my batch, and it seemed that most weren't on tight enough (I also use a wing-capper), and at least one so far wasn't carbed at all (no 'psst')

For my next batch, I should be all set with enough Grolsch bottles, and if I do happen to be short, I have a few standard pry-offs.

Primary: nothing.
Bottled: JLem's Jim's Oatmeal Stout #1 (brewed 26/02/11, bottled 14/06/11)
Almost gone: Lil' Sparky's Nut Brown Ale - partial mash (brewed 15/01/11, bottled 06/02/11) -- two bottles left, trying to save those.
Gone: Cooper's English Bitter (brewed 10/09/10, bottled 08/10/10, gone 14/01/11) -- first batch.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
Mikethepoolguy
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 15 Posts

Half of them will leak and you will have flat beer. The glass is usually thin also. Put them in the recycle bin.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I always avoided twist tops, until I realized that my capper was ok for using these.
I have this kind:

I've used a few, and I've had no problems, but I'm still not comfortable with it, so I've been weeding out the twist top bottles. I've got so many stinkin' bottles, I can afford to toss a few...

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 01-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
jwheelz
Recipes 

Great responses. Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll have to toss a few bottles out (after I drink some flat beer of course! .

Primary - Chuckanut Brown Ale
Primary - Sacred Cow IPA
Secondary - Blackberry Wooley Porter

On Tap - Northwest Passage Ale, Mac and Jack Clone
Bottled - Coopers Stout Kit, Coopers Dark Ale Kit, Red Tide E.S.B., Freedom Fighter Scotch Ale

Old 01-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
MikeRoBrew1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 242

I heard the twist bottles are not as strong and can break while you are trying to cap them.

My brew blog:
http://www.mikerobrew.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Old 01-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 714 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Be careful if you use a bottle opener on the twist off bottles. It's real easy to catch a bit of glass and chip it off when opening. I'll tell you to do what I've been doing, put the twist off bottles into recycle and get the pop off top bottles to replace them, even if you have to buy them (they aren't very expensive and lots of reuses on them).

Old 01-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #9
Diver165
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've inadvertently filled and capped a couple of twist offs before. Maybe a little too much homebrew while bottling. But they capped OK and held pressure during carbing. I threw them out when I came across them. But it worked... I guess I got a good crimp on them. I dunno

Old 01-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
GaryJohn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I've used a wing-capper on twist offs with no problems to report.

Quick Reply