Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > tweaking a golden wheat recipie (need some advice)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
PT Ray
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Add the brown sugar and hops. Boil for 10-15 minutes. Dump the Munton's into the fermenter during that time. After you kill the heat you can add the DME to the pot to sanitize and clean the Munton's can with the liquid from the pot. Pour that into the fermenter with the Munton's to dissolve. Top off to about 6 gallons. But before you get to the 5 gallon mark you can add the apple juice assuming it's the typical pasteurized kind in the 2 quart jugs. Overall I don't think the sugar or apple juice will have a huge impact so you're pretty safe if you don't get crazy with the quantities. I might cut the sugar to a pound and 2 quarts of apple juice should be fine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
802VermontHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well I am stuck between a rock and a hard place half say go for it the other half says nano

Primary- Midwest Supplies Autumn Bock
Secondary- Empty
Keg 1- Midwest Supplies Autumn Amber Ale; Keg 2- Empty; Keg 3- Empty;
Keg 4 Empty
Bottles- Midwest Supplies Irish Stout (Guiness Clone)

Old 11-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #13
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

The cider and brown sugar will make the beer really, really thin. I'd say use a small amount of molasses if you want that "brown sugar flavor" without all the extra fermentables.

I'd do apple juice or molasses, but I wouldn't do both.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 11-23-2010, 10:01 PM   #14
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post
The cider and brown sugar will make the beer really, really thin.
Less then you might think. I would expect with just using the extract you would get about a 72% ADF. So for a 5 gallon batch using the Munton's and 2 pounds of DME that would be an O.G. of about 1.045 with a finishing gravity of about 1.013. Bump that up to 6 gallons and add 2 quarts of apple juice and 1 pound of brown sugar you're looking at an O.G. of 1.049 with a final of 1.010, keeping in mind the sugar will add almost nothing to the final. Apple juice alone has a specific gravity of about 1.048 so that would be equal to about adding a half pound of sugar.

According to the guidelines for an Am. Wheat it has an O.G. of 1.040-55 and finishes around 1.008-13. That puts the ADF at 76-80%. Going from 1.049 down to 1.010 is 80%.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #15
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I basically said not to unless you want to make a crappy beer. However, if you want to find out for yourself, go for it. Make really good beer first and perfect your process, then play around with it. By then you'll know a little more about what to expect, hopefully.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:12 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4480 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Yeah, BUT. Cider will easily ferment below 1.000 so the beer will be very thin and "wine-y" tasting. It'll finish lower than 1.010, probably, and be very thin tasting and not very beer like.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #17
justinakajuice
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 on that JonK.

I did that on a couple of my first brews. Stick with what you know will turn out well. Then alter it with other things you learn along the way. Chances are you picked that beer recipe because you liked the style/description. Adding more sugar to get higher alcohol will work, but it will make for a sh!tty beer when all is said and done.

I totally hear you and went ahead and did what you are talking about and the result was exactly as JonK said.

I say go ahead and add it in there just so you see what happens, but do it on a cheap beer recipe so you don't feel so bad if it goes south.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:53 PM   #18
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Yeah, BUT. Cider will easily ferment below 1.000 so the beer will be very thin and "wine-y" tasting. It'll finish lower than 1.010, probably, and be very thin tasting and not very beer like.
You can expect apple juice to drop from 1.048 to .998. In this recipe it only represents about 8% of the fermentables so that .002 points will effect the gravity by .00016.

There will still be plenty of dextrins from the malt extract for a real beer flavor but no doubt the sugar and juice with add a certain crispness.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:18 PM   #19
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4480 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Ray View Post
You can expect apple juice to drop from 1.048 to .998.
I've often had apple juice (I make a ton of wines) finish at .990. I would be surprised if you could expect apple juice to reliably stop at .998, and I would like to see some statistics of that. That would be a very rare apple juice. In fact, every single one of my apple wines have finished at .990.

Anyway, we can agree to disagree. I'm not making this beer, so I don't have anything invested in it. I don't think it'll be good, I think it'll be thin, dry, cidery and not much in the way left of dextins to give it good body and mouthfeel. That's only my opinion, and it's probably not worth much at all.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:35 PM   #20
802VermontHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I appreciate what everybody has had to say about my idea... I am not sure what I will do with it... I have been very happy with every batch I have made by sticking to the book.... But with this one the kit says you can make it into a cherry wheat or a honey wheat... Basically make it to what you want by adding other ingredients... I chose it because you could sort of "make it your own" this was just my attempt at making something different out of it and not keeping it (just a wheat) beer. It was only 24.99 so I wouldnt lose out a ton of money if it doesnt go GREAT... As long as I can drink it and have it taste semi decent I will be happy... I am just trying to do something new I guess.

Primary- Midwest Supplies Autumn Bock
Secondary- Empty
Keg 1- Midwest Supplies Autumn Amber Ale; Keg 2- Empty; Keg 3- Empty;
Keg 4 Empty
Bottles- Midwest Supplies Irish Stout (Guiness Clone)

Quick Reply