The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Turned cloudy in fridge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
Worrak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Turned cloudy in fridge

This is my first batch ever and I tried a Brewhouse pilsner kit. They have been bottle for a couple weeks now and have been sitting covered in a warm room temperature area. I put one bottle in the fridge last night so I could try it this weekend and test the carbonation. When I put it in the beer was clear with some sediment at the bottom. This morning I see that the beer turned a little cloudy. Is this normal? Will it clear up?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That's called chill haze.

From How to Brew:

"Rapid cooling also forms the Cold Break. This is composed of another group of proteins that need to be thermally shocked into precipitating out of the wort. Slow cooling will not affect them. Cold break, or rather the lack of it, is the cause of Chill Haze. When a beer is chilled for drinking, these proteins partially precipitate forming a haze. As the beer warms up, the proteins re-dissolve. Only by rapid chilling from near-boiling to room temperature will the Cold Break proteins permanently precipitate and not cause Chill Haze. Chill haze is usually regarded as a cosmetic problem. "

Old 11-29-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I noticed that after it's been in the fridge for a few days, chill haze will often decrease significantly or even disappear. It's not a real problem anyway, doesn't affect the taste of the beer that I can tell.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Quick Reply