Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Turkey fryer flame

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
InkPouchMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Turkey fryer flame

Last night I did my first full boil on a brand-new dirt-cheap turkey fryer. It took a good long time! The problem was that I couldn't turn the gas up all that much without the flames "escaping" from the bottom of the pot. I figured that if I let this continue too much and just cranked it, I'd be wasting most of the propane, but it took a long time to get to a boil and I wound up boiling off less than 1 gallon during the 60min boil.

I'm using the likely common Bayou Classic basic model with the included pot. So...

Am I right that I'll be wasting tons of propane by cranking it? If so, is there any solution?

Thanks all.

"Give it time, young one." -- Somebody

Bucket: Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale
Glass carboy: Unnamed Belgian
Better Bottle: Empty
Bottled/drinking: Brewer's Best IPA, Molasses Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Did you adjust the fresh air mix? I don't have the Bayou Classic, but most have a sort of dial thing that you use to mix fresh air with the flame. You adjust it until you have the bluest flame you can.

I don't think you're wasting propane if you crank it-heat is getting to the pot, maybe just not as efficiently. IMHO, if you can get a wider/bigger pot, I'd do it.

How big is your pot? I have a 40 quart and don't have the flame around the side issue.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

+1 to adjusting your air to gas mix (the little slotted plate).

adjust it so you have little blue flames on the burner. too much yellow means not enough air, and usually a ton of soot build up on the bottom of the pot.

play around with it on a day you're not immediately brewing so you can take time and be patient.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 03-07-2008, 11:33 PM   #4
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

LOL, this is the same burner I got a couple weeks ago...and it took some fiddling to get the fuel/air mixture correct. I found that it was easier to do outside at night because you can see the yellow flame, and adjust the dial until it disappears.

I don't know about you, but I almost burned some hair off my head when I turned this thing all the way up! Pretty amazing for a little burner, it had a foot high flame on high .

Old 03-08-2008, 03:16 AM   #5
InkPouchMan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I'll try that. The problem is, the shutter has a very limited adjustment range. I had it as open as it gets, which must have been enough -- but it seems impossible to close. Not shaped quite like the pictures in the manual. Did you notice this?

"Give it time, young one." -- Somebody

Bucket: Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale
Glass carboy: Unnamed Belgian
Better Bottle: Empty
Bottled/drinking: Brewer's Best IPA, Molasses Porter

scsnick Likes This 
Old 03-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I don't have that one, but I have some cheap fryer, and a banjo KAB5 which is the one that I had to fiddle with a lot. its almost too much for my 9gal brewpot, so I have to barely turn on the gas, and open the air wide...otherwise I get 6 inches of black soot up the sides of my kettle.

usually that sleeve has a little spring behind it, and a screw holding it in. you might need to loosen that screw a quarter turn to give the spring enough play.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 03-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2256 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1241

I have the same fryer, and I boiled some water this weekend to season the pot. I didnt' have any problem with boiling it. Took abotu 10-15 minutes to get boil, and then very easy to adjust the flame up and down as needed.

I just cranked it up and let some of the flame lap the sides.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #8
sigmund
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Crank the flame up. You're not really wasting propane, just adding more fuel to the flame. The excess has to escape somewhere.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:37 PM   #9
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

You are transfering heat to the pot less efficiently at higher flame levels but it is providing more heat to the water or wort. I crank mine up to get a boil started then turn it down to maintain the boil.

If you want to improve the efficiency of your burner look at some of the shields that people have built. A metal shield around the burner and pot will direct the hot vapors along the sides of the pot improving the heat transfer and reducing cooling of the kettle from external air. This is most effective in cold and windy conditions. Just make sure your burner can get plenty of air and that your propane hose will not get too hot.

Craig

Old 03-11-2008, 03:56 AM   #10
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'm using the 40qt Bayou Classic. The air mix piece doesn't seem very well designed but this economy setup just rips the heat. After years of electric stovetop boils I am very pleased with the propane setup. And it sounds gratifyingly like a jet aircraft talking off at higher heat levels. Woo-hoo!

Batch history | yeast slants | Suspending yeast

Quick Reply