Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Turbo yeast to make "vodka"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2006, 06:44 PM   #1
Mark228
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Turbo yeast to make "vodka"?

Hi I bought some Alcotec 48 Turbo yeast and have it fermenting away nicely with 8kg of sugar in 25lt. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this non-distillary "moonshine" technique and has any tips for it? It says you don't need to add anything else to make a "vodka" but what could I make out of this basic "spirit" that would be nice to try? Will it go clear like my Lager does (as it looks milky at the moment)? I've seen something mentioned about filtering through carbon, what does that entail?

http://www.turbo-yeast.biz/english/alcotec48.htm

Thanks for any advice!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2006, 06:51 PM   #2
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark228
Hi I bought some Alcotec 48 Turbo yeast and have it fermenting away nicely with 8kg of sugar in 25lt. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this non-distillary "moonshine" technique and has any tips for it? It says you don't need to add anything else to make a "vodka" but what could I make out of this basic "spirit" that would be nice to try? Will it go clear like my Lager does (as it looks milky at the moment)? I've seen something mentioned about filtering through carbon, what does that entail?

http://www.turbo-yeast.biz/english/alcotec48.htm

Thanks for any advice!
I got a hangover headache just looking at those directions. If you've never had moonshine before, be prepared for a god-awful morning after.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:11 PM   #3
Mark228
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
I got a hangover headache just looking at those directions. If you've never had moonshine before, be prepared for a god-awful morning after.
Is it that bad (or good lol)? With it not being distilled does that mean more of a hangover causer or just the alcohol content? I'll try anything once or twice I'd seen those spirit/liqueur kits you can buy and this is basically the same thing so I figured I'd give it a go.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:13 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

I've made it once before (only a gallon), just to test the distiller's yeast. It fermented hot with all of the normal problems. It was very good for sanitizing things & using in the airlock, but one sniff was enough. I'd suggest mixing with the bug juice of your choice & laying in a supply of aspirin.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-08-2006, 07:17 PM   #5
dougjones31
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

First of all...this is not going to be Vodka.

You can distill what you get after fermentation, and it will still not be vodka. Vodka is made from Potatoes. Your flavor will be different.

What you will have is some 15-20% 30-40 proof crap that tastes like bong water that has some type of cleaner in it. If you distill it you can get rid of a bunch of the bad taste but you will not end up with vodka....it would be more like Everclear.

Fermenting straight table sugar is going to produce alot of fusel alcohols which will not mellow with age. You also have nothing there to add flavor to you brew to cover up the bad tasting alcohol.

In short....you wasted your sugar and yeast.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:50 PM   #6
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I drank Everclear once (the 198 proof type; not this weak 40 proof type) and it was the last time I ever drank it.

I dropped a shot into about 20oz. of Gatorade and the entire 21.5oz. tasted like rubbing (or maybe worse) alcohol. After about 3 of these I was side-ways silly and the headache the next day was the worse thing I can remember in a while...

Brew some beers or wine, but stay away from this stuff. Save your money and buy your liqour at the wine and spirits.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:04 PM   #7
jpsloan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Is there not such a thing as rye vodka? Belvedere makes a big deal about it on their little neck-tied card.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:32 PM   #8
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Vodka as defined by the Gov. is a clear nuetral spirit. Most US vodka is made from grain and not potatoes. Even Russian vodka is only sometimes made from potatoes. It is a distilled product and unless you distill your ferment you don't have vodka. Likewise, Moonshine is a distilled beverage, most often made from corn. Turbo yeast is simply going to give you a strong, dry sugar wine at best and definately not what you are expecting. Turbo yeast is a yeast that is highly alcohol tolerant, but even still it won't make spirits of any kind. Distilling is a process of seperating chemical elements through the use of heat. It is the same process basically no matter if you are refining crude oil or making scotch whiskey. In the case of distilling fermentables, one of those elements is alcohol, another is water and others include methane and a few other nasties that I won't mention because they are also in the beer we make and drink because they have not been removed by distillation. The art of distillation is the science of seperating the elements you want from those you don't want. In the case of Vodka you want alcohol and nothing else, thus the nuetral spirits definition from the gov.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:01 PM   #9
dougjones31
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Somewhat truth, but my grandfather made moonshine and he would be the first one to remind you that the 10% of moonshine that is not pure alcohol holds all the flavor. Good or bad!

Same goes with Vodka. It is only 90 proof which is less than half alcohol. The other half is mainly water but it does contain flavor.

What they sell as vodka today is mostly just "Grain Alcohol". Real Vodka is made with potatoes and you can really taste the difference between it and Grain Vodka. I would guess that the biggest difference is the amount of nasty byproducts that potatoe fermentation produces.....it produces much less than that of the grain vodka. This would be a case of the grain vodka containing more flavors(nasty ones) and not being as smooth as the potatoe vodka.

Of course filtration also plays a big factor in the taste and smoothness.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:08 PM   #10
dougjones31
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Calling grain alcohol "Vodka" is akin to calling beer made with rice and corn....."Beer"

Quick Reply