Turb in a Weisenbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jg12333

Reaction score
I know i was supposed to strain out the turb from my weisenbier but id say i have about half of it in the bottom of my primary fermentor i plan on haveing it in there for 10 days total then straight to the bottel since i hear wheat beers are best young. I was also wondering about botteling, should i just start siphoning out straight into bottels via my bottel filling wand, or should i give it a little stir or is it best to not agiate it and leave everything on the bottom.

There's nothing wrong with getting the trub in the primary, I do it all the time. I don't strain it out at all. Don't bottle straight out of the primary, you WILL get a lot of sediment in the bottles. Are you doing the primary ferment in your bottling bucket? If so, go buy another bucket, if for nothing else to rack the beer to so you can clean all the trub out of your bottling bucket. Then rack back into it and bottle.

I make a lot of Weizens and secondary all the time.

I would recommend racking to a secondary (at least over night) to reduce more of the sediment. I do about 3-5 days. The brew clears up a lot, but still remains cloudy.

This makes for a "cleaner" tasting brew since there is less yeast floating about.

Follow others advice this time if you wish, but later on I want you to try a secondary for a weizen at least once. Then come back and tell me which one tasted better. I think you'll be surprised.

Yeah i do have a glass Carboy i brewed last friday itll be a week in two days so i think ill transfer it to my carboy and let it sit for the weekend and bottel on monday. And the reason i ask about giving it a stir is because im afraid of gettin undercarbed beer and i know the yeast settles on the bottom. But i guess there will still be enough yeast in suspension to carb even after letteing more settling occur in the secondary? And thanks for the help everyone on this site is so helpful this place is awesome.

I just bottled a doppelbock that's been in the primary for so long I have forgotten exactly how long it was in there. 10 months, I think? It's carbing slowly, but fine. So don't stir yeast back into suspension.

If it is trub you are worried about, I would try to keep most of it out if easily possible. But what goes in I don't worry about as it will settle out anyway.
However, if it is turd that is your concern, you definitely want to strain that out.... And throw the freakin' cat out of the house when you brew!

Back