Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Trying a Pecan Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2014, 12:49 PM   #1
BroncoBeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Trying a Pecan Brew

Hey everyone, I would like all you brewers out there to tell me what you think of this pecan recipe. I'm going to brew it today . Happy New Year!

5 gals water

Steep from the start until 165 degrees
1 lbs Honey Malt 20L
1/2 lbs Crystal 150L
1/2 lbs Carapils
1/2 lbs chopped Pecans (See below for Pecan preparation)
Remove grain bag and let drain

Add 6 lbs DME Pilsen Light

Bring to a boil and add hops:
1/2 oz Magnum @ 60 mins
1/4 oz Magnum @ 15 mins
1 Whirlfloc Tablet @ 15 mins
1 oz Tettnang @ 5 mins.

Cool wort to 70 Degrees and transfer to fermenter

Pitch yeast Safale S-04

Transfer to secondary fermenter after 4-5 days and ferment for 2 weeks@ 68 degrees.

Bottle and hopefully all is good.

Pecans are a pain to get rid of their oils. I chopped them and roasted 4 times for 10 mins at 350 degrees and placed equally in 3 lunch brown paper bags at each roasting to soak up the oil. I roasted 1 more time for 15 mins at 300 degrees and again placed in lunch bags.

Reason: Forgot the malt and temp

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 297 Times on 248 Posts

Did you forget to write in the DME?

What style is this (roughly, ignoring the pecans)? Just curious. What are the IBUs you expect?

Old 01-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
BroncoBeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Oh crap Duh I forgot the 6 lbs of DME. See what happens on New Years morning, the brain is still in 2013.

Expect 42 IBU
OG 1.055
FG 1.018

Old 01-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #4
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 83 Posts

One pound of honey malt is a lot in my opinion. I think the beer could become cloying with that much. With the other pound of crystal malt, this will be very sweet! I'd drop the honey malt to 8 oz max.

I'm not really sure about the pecans...never added nuts into a beer before.

Hops look ok, I think I'd get rid of the second magnum addition as it's not really known for its flavor additions, but rather it's clean bitterness.

Sounds interesting.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
Travestian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocScott View Post
One pound of honey malt is a lot in my opinion. I think the beer could become cloying with that much. With the other pound of crystal malt, this will be very sweet! I'd drop the honey malt to 8 oz max.
Actually I did an Imperial "Pecan Pie" Stout with 2 lbs of Honey Malt, 2 lbs of Crystal 60L and 1 lb of Crystal 120L. It fermented from 1.090 down to 1.020 and wasn't cloyingly sweet. I even had 8 oz of Malto-Dextrin in the boil and 4 oz of Lactose at bottling. If anything I needed more sweetness to make the beer like a pecan pie.

That being said you might fair a little differently with a lower OG.

The Bath Tub Brewery. Where it's ok to be a little dirty with your beer.

BroncoBeer Likes This 
Old 01-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #6
BroncoBeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Default We will see

I'm getting ready now to brew it, the only thing that scares me is I am still getting a little oil from the pecans even though I have roasted them 5 times. I hope it works.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #7
MWM777
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeer View Post
I'm getting ready now to brew it, the only thing that scares me is I am still getting a little oil from the pecans even though I have roasted them 5 times. I hope it works.

I'm by NO means an expert, but I've always read any kind of oil in a beer is a bad thing. Oils tend to go rancid, and doesn't mix, obviously, with the beer. I know you've roasted the pecans to remove oil, but I'd guess its unlikely you got all of it. I'd caution you to find another method to find the pecan flavor you're after? Perhaps an alcohol-based extract in secondary? Like I said, in a beginner myself. Just my $.02.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #8
BroncoBeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWM777 View Post
I'm by NO means an expert, but I've always read any kind of oil in a beer is a bad thing. Oils tend to go rancid, and doesn't mix, obviously, with the beer. I know you've roasted the pecans to remove oil, but I'd guess its unlikely you got all of it. I'd caution you to find another method to find the pecan flavor you're after? Perhaps an alcohol-based extract in secondary? Like I said, in a beginner myself. Just my $.02.
Yes I've heard the same thing, I've toyed with the idea of soaking pecans in a quart jar with Vodka and introducing the liquid only in the secondary. That will be my second try if first try here flops.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
Travestian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeer View Post
Yes I've heard the same thing, I've toyed with the idea of soaking pecans in a quart jar with Vodka and introducing the liquid only in the secondary. That will be my second try if first try here flops.
From reading several other threads regarding a pecan beer (when I was designing mine) both processes were used. I know that Clown Shoes uses roasted pecans in the secondary in their Genghis Pecan beer. I chose the cheater's route and went with a pecan extract at bottling from Austin Homebrew Supply. I'm happy with the results.

The Bath Tub Brewery. Where it's ok to be a little dirty with your beer.

BroncoBeer Likes This 
Old 01-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #10
BroncoBeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travestian View Post
From reading several other threads regarding a pecan beer (when I was designing mine) both processes were used. I know that Clown Shoes uses roasted pecans in the secondary in their Genghis Pecan beer. I chose the cheater's route and went with a pecan extract at bottling from Austin Homebrew Supply. I'm happy with the results.
I'm learning it's impossible to get all the oil out of the pecans, I'm hoping that there isn't enough oil left in them to ruin the brew. I roasted them again (6th time now) at 300 degrees with paper towels under them. I roasted for 12 mins and more oil was present, so back in the paper bags they went and in 3 hrs I will start. Suggestions??

Quick Reply