New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > trying to be patient

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
homebrewertodd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default trying to be patient

Trying to wait patiently to bottle my brew. Thursday is the day! I used tasty brew to figure out priming sugar. Got just one question. Does of sound right that it told me to use the same amount in a fruit and honey ale as just a honey ale? I suppose ill follow what it says since it knows better than me, but just doesn't sound right.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 01:41 AM   #2
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Yup.

What the beer itself is doesn't matter so much as what you're desired carbonation level is. The yeast will chew through that sugar, making a tiny bit more alcohol and, more importantly, CO2. This is entirely the yeast chewing through the priming sugar - the beer it's in isn't all that important.

The exception comes when you're dealing with really high alcohol beers - but those just tend to take more time, not varying amounts of priming sugar.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:53 AM   #3
homebrewertodd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, thanks. I'm just over thinking this. Thinking about all the sugars the yeast can react to. But I guess what it wants at that point is the priming sugar. Thanks for setting me straight.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Yeah, yeast will only ferment to a certain point - that's referred to as its attenuation level. By the time a beer is fully fermented, it's reached whatever attenuation level that the yeast is likely able to reach - so all those sugars (whether from malt, fruit, honey, candi sugar, etc) have already been converted to whatever degree the yeast is able to handle.

When we bottle, we add a little extra sugar, which sort of throws off the balance - now there's new fermentables in the beer (that happen to be fully fermentable), so the yeast wake back up again and chew through them until they hit roughly that same attenuation point.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones

Recipes 

Liked 1656 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1132

As you get used to using the tasty brew priming calculator,you can go to the "volumes of co2" box & adjust the number up or down to better suit the style of beer for that batch.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
homebrewertodd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

This is all good info. Thanks. I have learned so much from you guys. I am so glad I found this forum!

Quick Reply