Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Trying out a recipe for a light beer....have a few questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
brewd00d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Trying out a recipe for a light beer....have a few questions.

Well, now that im 4 months into the brewing world, i feel like i can now take on making my own recipe. I want to make a light ale beer. Im not going all grain but im using a variety of dried malt extracts. I figured this will a good next step form using the extract kits that have everything supplied already.

So far this is what i plan on using:

Extra Light DME 3 lbs
Rice Syrup Solids 1 lb
Cascade Hop Pellets 1 oz
Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Does anyone think i would need some extra sugar for this recipe during the boil for the yeast?

Moving on, I figured on the Cascade hops just because they wont be too overwhelming, but if anyone has another hop suggestion, please let me know.

As far as the boil, you guys think 45min for the hops is plenty of time or what?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 141

So to help us give you better answers, you might want to tell us what your goal for this beer is. A "light ale" can mean many, many things. Light in color? Mouthfeel? ABV? Calories?

Using table sugar will boost the abv of the beer and can help it attenuate better, making it a drier beer. Have you plugged your recipe into a calculator to get estimated numbers? Are you trying to brew a BMC clone?

As for hops, how bitter/flavorful/aromatic are you wanting to make this beer? If you don't care much for bittering, you can boil for 60 but add the hops at 20 minutes. If you want some more aromatics, add another oz at 5 minutes. You can do whatever you like, it's your beer!

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Festbier (ECY15), BOSON Prime (Brett Oaked saiSON), Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Primary: None Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), BOSON on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/11/18
Untappd: barrooze

Old 12-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Right now you have a low gravity, low malt, dry clean beer. I would become quickly bored with it after a couple bottles. However, it would be a good crowd pleaser. You could easily add some character with some later additions of Cascade. It would be good beer to show case some hops without having to make it intense.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
brewd00d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze View Post
So to help us give you better answers, you might want to tell us what your goal for this beer is. A "light ale" can mean many, many things. Light in color? Mouthfeel? ABV? Calories?

Using table sugar will boost the abv of the beer and can help it attenuate better, making it a drier beer. Have you plugged your recipe into a calculator to get estimated numbers? Are you trying to brew a BMC clone?

As for hops, how bitter/flavorful/aromatic are you wanting to make this beer? If you don't care much for bittering, you can boil for 60 but add the hops at 20 minutes. If you want some more aromatics, add another oz at 5 minutes. You can do whatever you like, it's your beer!
Im not worried about calories, but i was looking for it to come out similar tasking to the common american "light" beers. As for the hops, i dont want it bitter.

So i would boil the DME for about 1hr but at 20min into the boil add the hops?

Old 12-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
brewd00d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

In addition, i want the lightness in color and taste but i wanted an average abv of about 4%. Would adding some extra corn sugar into the brew during boil achieve this or would the DME alone give the abv i want?

Old 12-18-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
brewd00d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Ray View Post
Right now you have a low gravity, low malt, dry clean beer. I would become quickly bored with it after a couple bottles. However, it would be a good crowd pleaser. You could easily add some character with some later additions of Cascade. It would be good beer to show case some hops without having to make it intense.
You intrigued me a little Ray with the cascade advice. What would you do with the cascade hops to give it some character, boil the 1 oz hops for like 40 minutes then maybe add .05 oz of cascade 10 minutes before the end of the boil?

Old 12-18-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
philrose
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

There shouldn't really be hop flavor in that style, Which would mean a small amount of your cascades at 60 min. You can certainly add hop flavor if you like, this is home brew after all.

Search the forum for "miller lite really triple hopped!" that recipe has an interesting twist by using extra enzymes for the bone dry finish an high attenuation. IIRC, the op of the recipe used 1056 and cascades too in one batch.

Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Old 12-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #8
brewd00d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So you would suggest maybe 1oz of the cascade for 60min and call it quits?

Im trying to get a feel for how much and how long to use the hops for. I'm used to the kits so everything is provided for me with the proper amount. Now I'm exploring what brewing is all about, creating a beer with the ingredients i choose.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:57 PM   #9
philrose
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

if you know the AA of the hops, I'll plug it into software and get you an idea of the hopping. If your cascades are 5.7% AA like the ones in my fridge, you'd get 22 IBU with an ounce at 60 as estimated by the rager formula. If it were my beer, that would be a bit too much bitterness

Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Old 12-19-2010, 01:48 AM   #10
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 141

It depends if he's doing partial boil or full wort. You wouldn't get the full 22 ibu with a partial boil. So yes, just put all the hops in at 60. RDWHAHB.

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Festbier (ECY15), BOSON Prime (Brett Oaked saiSON), Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Primary: None Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), BOSON on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/11/18
Untappd: barrooze

Quick Reply