Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Trying to learn what went wrong

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 04:14 AM   #1
madirish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Trying to learn what went wrong

First pale ale extract tasting notes and my thoughts on why It is not very good.

Beer is bottled in 22oz and has aged 3 weeks in bottles. First pour has nice head and is carbed ok second glass is kind of flat and does not produce or hold head very well. The beer has ok flavor and smell but does not have much body. I racked to secondary after a week (too early I know now) secondary for an additional week when fg hit and stayed at 1.020 for 4 days in a row. Beer is super cloudy even though I added Irish moss last 15 minutes of boil and it took me a very long time (1 hour) to chill wort and pitch. I think I pitched at too high temp as well. (Now have a wort chiller and thermometer) . Questions, does slow chilling and pitching too high temp cause cloudy beer? Will the watery taste get better with age?

Beer is very very cloudy although i added Irish moss last 15 minutes of boil. It took me a very long time to chill the wort prior to pitching, probably close to an hour to cool. I also think I pitched yeast at too high of temperature. (Fixed both issues by making a wort chiller and buying a thermometer.) Will these issues make the beer cloudy?

Hhhhh

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 04:34 AM   #2
ApothecaryBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A longer chill will lead to a cloudier beer. What type of yeast did you use? Higher fermentation temps (70F+) can lead to off flavors in some types of beer.

With an FG of 1.020 sounds like a stuck fermentation. Not much you can do now but with future batches aerate your chilled wort properly before pitching the yeast. Also pitching the correct amount of yeast and fermenting at the proper temps will help clear up most issues.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
madirish
Recipes 

I used wlp001 without a starter. What causes the beer to not have much body. Initial taste is ok but then it seems watery?

Old 12-05-2012, 05:52 AM   #4
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 351 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by madirish View Post
What causes the beer to not have much body. Initial taste is ok but then it seems watery?
We need your recipe and your OG to help out with this question.

Quick Reply