Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Trying to keep it simple but, perfection dominates

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
downtown3641
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 41 Posts

I've gotten to a point where I accept that any beer I'm planning on bottling is going take about 8 weeks from brew day to opening the first. I'll leave most of my beers in the fermenter for four weeks and in the bottle for another four. I've tried only three weeks in the bottle, but am generally disappointed. As far as keeping the hobby fun, I've found this to be the best approach. I don't worry about checking the gravity constantly and I'm not antsy to open a beer before it's ready. I have enough experience with craft beer to know what I enjoy drinking during each part of the year. I just brew today what I want to be drinking in two months.

Kegged: Dusseldorf Altbier, Mild
Up next: Belgian Wheat/Rye, Kolsch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #12
ABrewingApe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown3641 View Post
I just brew today what I want to be drinking in two months.
Best advice. It's easy to get clenchy and start counting bubbles and making tables of gravity readings, but all the beer really wants you to do is wait.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #13
NavyMarine1978
Recipes 

Likes Given: 15

Sounds good. So, there is not a real definative answer, only guidlines and suggestions. I guess, like everything else, there is a learning curve and eventually a feel for the craft.

Thanks everyone,

Old 12-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #14
yancydc
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyMarine1978 View Post
This is my first batch and I have just bottled it at the 14 day mark. It seemed like a happy median and I was content with what I saw in the fermenter (clear, settled, bubbling was sporatic and less than a bubble every 2 minutes).
While airlock bubbling isn't the best indication of active fermentation, I wouldn't bottle a beer that was still bubbling without taking a couple hydro readings. It could very well be done and bubbling for some other reason, but I'd want to know for sure to avoid bottle bombs. Info for the future, I suppose.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:14 PM   #15
NavyMarine1978
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancydc View Post
While airlock bubbling isn't the best indication of active fermentation, I wouldn't bottle a beer that was still bubbling without taking a couple hydro readings. It could very well be done and bubbling for some other reason, but I'd want to know for sure to avoid bottle bombs. Info for the future, I suppose.
The store from whom I purchased the ingredients from and who also designed the recipe suggested bottling after the bubbles reached less than one/min. I asked them about the hydrometer readings and they also suggested that the hydrometer is better suited towards making wine instead of beer. I do seem to get a different answer from almost everyone that I ask about when to bottle. I figue this first batch is a leaning curve and will continue to be so until I make beer without thinking about it. Thanks for any and all advice. I will most certainly be experimenting with future batches trying to improve on them. This time around, I took the advice of the storekeeper and brewmaster at Noble Grape. I look forward to being comfortable enough with brewing to experiement and try different things.

Thanks again everyone and keep the suggestion comming.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #16
NavyMarine1978
Recipes 

It was also suggested to me that some beers in some scenarios will never completely stop bubbling. Hence the suggestion to bottle when bubbles less than one/min. Has anyone else heard of this?

Quick Reply