Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > trying to buy a kettle for Christmas present

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2009, 12:41 AM   #1
s2mthompson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default trying to buy a kettle for Christmas present

I'm trying to buy a kettle for my boyfriend for xmas and am hoping for some help. He has never brewed before, but has a "kit". He thinking he wants to do 10 gal. batches, but it sounds like we'll have trouble heating something that size on our electric stove. PLEASE HELP

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
GoldMiner
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Turkey fryer setup is the way to go.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:46 AM   #3
MultumInParvo
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

10 gallons of on a stove will be likely be pretty hard.

The general rule of thumb is that if you have a pot twice as large as the batches you'll do, you'll be in the clear. That being said, I have an 8 gallon pot and got five gallon batches and it works well. I also do the five gallons indoor on my stove. So its certainly possible.

Not sure what your price range is, but something like this: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...oducts_id=2319 would certainly work. You could also go with aluminum as it is cheaper.

Best of luck to you!

Old 12-14-2009, 12:52 AM   #4
homebeerbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 24

It would be cheaper and easier to start out with 5 gallon batches. I agree with GoldMiner that a turkey frier is the way to go, and they're usually good for 5 gallons. Once he becomes addicted, like most of us here, then he can move up to 10 gallons. All he would need then in a larger pot.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:56 AM   #5
Doc Robinson
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ten gallon batches aren't very realistic for someone who has never brewed before and who only has a "kit". Boils of that size on regular stoves are all but impossible (if not completely impossible) However, I'm all for jumping in head first. My philosophy is buy big at the beginning...buying small at the beginning and realizing you need "bigger" later sucks, and it is a waste of money. He needs a propane burner and an adequate sized brew kettle. You are looking in the range of $300 - $400 for those alone. Then you have chilling considerations, etc, etc, etc. If money is no object, hit me up and I'll hook you up. If money is tighter, stick with the pot cford1 posted. Good luck.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:20 AM   #6
buffalobrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

if he's serious about 10 gallon batches this kettle would work http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=10461

one nice thing about the turkey fryer is that you brew outside and any boil overs are a simple rinse with the hose to clean up. Boil overs on stoves are not an easy cleanup (don't ask me how I know this). It will boil over at some point unless you have a much larger kettle than boil size (typically to end up with 5 gallons you start boiling with 6 or so gallons)

You would also need one powerful stove to get 10 gallons boiling on the stove, and the weight could warp it. 5 gallons is a lot of work for a stove.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:16 AM   #7
Jewrican
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

if he is serious he will begin brewing outdoors.

Many of us use "keggles" which are regular Stainless steel kegs from Bud light or the similar which we cut open and use as a huge kettle. Check craigslist. He will then grab a propane burner / stand and will be happy as hell.

good luck and great to see that you are supporting such a great hobby of his.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #8
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I agree with "Doc Robinson." 10 gallon batches are no way for a beginner to start. That much wort in a single pot is going to weigh the better part of 100 pounds including pot, thus creating far more complex logistical issues when it comes time to chill / transfer the wort. If he insists on going that way, I agree that a turkey fryer setup is probably the way to go.....but for 10 gallon batches, that pot will have to be big, at least 12 gallons.

That being said, I brew 5 gallon batches, full boils in a cheap $40 stainless steel 30 qt brewpot. Since I do all-grain, that's a 6.5 gal. boil in a 7.5 gal. pot. I put a few drops of a product called Fermcap-S into the boil to suppress the foaming. It works.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
s2mthompson
Recipes 

Default Next question

Thank you! I'm looking at spending around $200 for the whole set up, so the next question is what about a ball valve & thermometer? looks like it will be "easier", but you can buy different set ups that included just the ball valve or both. Thanks

Old 12-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #10
Doc Robinson
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mthompson View Post
Thank you! I'm looking at spending around $200 for the whole set up, so the next question is what about a ball valve & thermometer? looks like it will be "easier", but you can buy different set ups that included just the ball valve or both. Thanks
Personally, I think the thermometers are a waste of money on large pots in terms of accuracy. They are nice, but not necessary. A good floating themometer ($6) works better to test multiple areas for uniformity. Ball valves are fantastic if you can afford the add on.

Quick Reply