Truebrew kit troubles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
I'm on my 6th brew so far and my second batch of apfelwein. I have made 4 true brew kits (IPA, pale ale, porter and american wheat) a dogfish head 60 clone and Austins chocolate raspberry stout. I use the true brew kits because my wife gets them for me at work at a discount so they only cost about $20. So far the porter was great, the wheat was pretty good, the dogfish head 60 was incredible and the stout is in secondary.

Now the problems. The IPA kit tasted ok when I first kegged it and it quickly started tasting like molasses or caramel until it got so bad I dumped it. I also bottled a 12 pack and they taste the same.

I kegged the pale ale the other day and it smelled and tasted a little like caramel or molasses again and it's getting worse by the day. I don't need the corny right now so I'm going to let it sit and see what happens.

I'm convinced there is a problem with these kit's. I haven't changed a thing when brewing and the others worked perfectly. I'm very careul not to let anything burn in the pot and I'm very anal about sanitation. Any thoughts on what could be wrong? I'm about to give up on the kit's and I already ordered ingredients from Austin for a couple more batchs. I get such a good deal on the kit's it's hard not to make them, but, somethings up.

I used one TrueBrew kit (my first brew). It was a Pale Ale and it turned out good. It is what got me started in brewing. I am now into AG but still do extract kits for my wife. She loves the Belgium Wit from Midwest and I have done 10 of them. I am not sure about your problem. I was going to suggest that the kits may be old, but mine sat around for a year before I brewed it. I didn't even refrigerate the dried yeast. I would go ahead and order a kit from one of the stores mentioned here in the forum. Try to duplicate your brewing process and see what happens.

I have done quite a few True Brew kits with excellent results. I always upgrade my yeast. Maybe you scorched the malt a little...just a thought.

Back