The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > True Brew Nut Brown Ale - Final Gravity Question, and maybe infection?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 04:39 AM   #21
jwetzler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flars View Post
I brewed a True Brew Nut Brown Ale 11/11/2010. FG on bottling day 12/31/2010 was 1.016. Very good flavor. First 6 days at 62° to 63°. Let temperature rise to ambient room temperature of 70° till bottling day. I don't have any notes on how it looked in the carboy.
How long did you wait until you cracked one open? Was there a certain amount of time that passed when it seemed like the flavor of the beer had reached its full potential?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #22
defdans
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwetzler View Post
Also worth mentioning, my buddy at work (he's a more experienced home brewer) said that sludge at the bottom of the glass is a good thing because it means that the yeast is consuming the priming sugar and multiplying. He also said that he can't really taste the yeast, but its supposed to have some vitamins and nutrients in it.

His preferred method is to pour the beer into the glass and leave the sludge in the bottom of the bottle.
Thanks, that's what i've seen suggested and is how I plan to proceed as well.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #23
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 331 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
How long did you wait until you cracked one open? Was there a certain amount of time that passed when it seemed like the flavor of the beer had reached its full potential?
If the bulk of my beer volume will be in bottles larger than 12 ounces, I fill one 6 pack of 12 ounce bottles. I'll open one 12 ounce at the end of the first week of conditioning. Then another at the end of the second week and so on. I know bottle conditioning will not be complete in one week and most most likely not after two weeks. I just like to taste the progression of flavor development. Usually it is three to four weeks for a beer of less than 1.056 to develop full flavor and carbonation. I chill the beers in the refrigerator for at least two days before opening.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #24
TRHvolfan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this same kit a couple of months ago, and my final s.g. was 1.016. I have a similar amount of sediment in my bottles. When I opened my bucket it had a ring around the top.

image-3962092600.jpg  

Old 02-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #25
jwetzler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRHvolfan View Post
I brewed this same kit a couple of months ago, and my final s.g. was 1.016. I have a similar amount of sediment in my bottles. When I opened my bucket it had a ring around the top.
Yep, mine had that same ring around the top. I'm guessing that at some point during the first part of fermentation it bubbled up pretty high and left a ring of sediment and stuff behind.

I'm on my second week of conditioning right now, Saturday will mark 2 full weeks exactly. Although I plan on cracking one open tonight to see how much the flavor has advanced.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #26
defdans
Recipes 

Quote:
Yep, mine had that same ring around the top. I'm guessing that at some point during the first part of fermentation it bubbled up pretty high and left a ring of sediment and stuff behind.

I'm on my second week of conditioning right now, Saturday will mark 2 full weeks exactly. Although I plan on cracking one open tonight to see how much the flavor has advanced.
I put one in the fridge last weekend and cracked it open on Tuesday night. Was pretty damn good. Had a nice flavor and was carbonated, but didn't have much head at all. Of course I poured very slowly (to avoid glugging and stirring up the sediment at the bottom) and my fridge is VERY cold.

I may put another one in the fridge this weekend to try early next week.

Here's a pic of the one from Tuesday:

Old 02-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #27
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Yes, it's hard to do, but stop fretting over and messing with your beer. Leave it alone, in a box, in a dark place at 70*F for at least 4 weeks.

After the CO2 forms from the yeast eating the priming sugar, it has to be absorbed into solution. That takes a couple of weeks. Bottle conditioning takes another two weeks on top of that and continues to refine the taste for a long time after.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #28
cwk229
Recipes 

image-60263710.jpg

Old 02-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #29
cwk229
Recipes 

This is a picture of my first brew. It was brewed on 1-6-13, bottled on 1-13-13 and this is the first one we opened. It had a good taste but the head was a bit weak. I am hoping it gets better with a bit more conditioning.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #30
TRHvolfan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk229

This is a picture of my first brew. It was brewed on 1-6-13, bottled on 1-13-13 and this is the first one we opened. It had a good taste but the head was a bit weak. I am hoping it gets better with a bit more conditioning.
Mine has a nice head in a frosty mug. Fresh clean glass...not so much.

Quick Reply