The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > True Brew Nut Brown Ale - Final Gravity Question, and maybe infection?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
jwetzler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default True Brew Nut Brown Ale - Final Gravity Question, and maybe infection?

hey all this is my first time to post on this site, and also my very first time to home brew.

I recently got the True Brew Nut Brown Ale kit (partial mash kit), and it has been fermenting for almost 2 weeks @ about 69F - 71F. I put it all in the fermentor and pitched my yeast on 1.5.2013 about 11:45pm cst.

My OG was 1.053. My FG is 1.017
According to the true brew instructions my final gravity should be between 1.012 - 1.014

I have checked the gravity 3 days in a row, and it's at a steady 1.017. Is it ok to go ahead and bottle, even though it's .003 higher than what the instructions call for? Will this small discrepancy keep my beer from carbonating after bottling?

Also, there are these brown bubble patches on the top of the beer, is this normal or possibly infected? They were big originally, but now they have shrank considerably.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
jwetzler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A couple of days ago:

Tonight:

Old 01-19-2013, 02:02 AM   #3
defdans
Recipes 

This probably wont answer your question, but I made the same exact thing on 12/30 and my gravity is right around 1.015-1.016 as of an hour ago. In all likelihood i will bottle tomorrow night. Maybe that kit is just a little off on the final gravity?

As far as infection, have you tasted it? I didnt see those big bubbles you pictured with mine, but then again i never opened mine until tonight. Mine looks pretty similar to your last picture. Youre probably fine.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:23 AM   #4
jwetzler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdans View Post
This probably wont answer your question, but I made the same exact thing on 12/30 and my gravity is right around 1.015-1.016 as of an hour ago. In all likelihood i will bottle tomorrow night. Maybe that kit is just a little off on the final gravity?

As far as infection, have you tasted it? I didnt see those big bubbles you pictured with mine, but then again i never opened mine until tonight. Mine looks pretty similar to your last picture. Youre probably fine.
Man I'm glad you said that yours was high too. I checked the gravity on mine last weekend, which is the picture with the large bubbles and it was around 1.019.

Then I measured Wednesday, and then Today, and the gravity was at a steady 1.017.

I did taste mine, it didn't have a bad flavor but just tasted flat of course since there was no carbonation. I did check a few of the pages on this forum as far as infections and they look nothing like my picture so I'm going to go ahead and bottle tomorrow.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:26 AM   #5
jwetzler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

also, instead of buying empty bottles I thought it would be more fun to just buy a bunch of Sam Adams and empty the bottles myself, so by tomorrow I'll either have 50 empty bottles or I'll have alcohol poisoning lol.

Did you have a lot of sediment in yours? I made the mistake of really squishing the grains when I was steeping...so I'm going to get a few of those nylon paint strainer bags tomorrow to filter out as much sediment as I can before I transfer the beer to the bottling bucket.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:35 AM   #6
bassman22
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did you taste the beer when you took your gravity sample?

The bubbles and their disappearing looks to me like the krausen is settling as it should.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:44 AM   #7
jwetzler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman22 View Post
Did you taste the beer when you took your gravity sample?

The bubbles and their disappearing looks to me like the krausen is settling as it should.
yeah I tasted it and it wasn't sour or anything. It just tasted flat but I figure that is because it's not carbonated yet.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:46 AM   #8
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Looks normal!

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:09 AM   #9
dkm11b
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

looks more then normal, looks like good beer.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
cwk229
Recipes 

I made my first batch ever on New Year's Day the same brew. I bottled it last Sunday. I never opened the top until last Sunday when I took my gravity reading. IT was 1.0017. I forgot to take the reading when I first made the batch. It tasted good when I bottled it. It looks just like the ones in your picture except there was very little floating on top. I was surprised that you can not see anything happening in the bottles. I will wait wait a few weeks before I try it again.

Quick Reply