Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > True Brew Irish stout question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #11
Lambo3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksball14 View Post
Yeah the blow off tube goes into a large pot with water into it. My first attempt at this actually blew the airlock off and made quite a mess which is how i found out about the blow off tube, haha. But yeah definitely just going to start with that from now on.
Yeah, a blown off airlock is a fun mess. As stated earlier, I just start with that, leave it on for 2-3 days and then switch to the small airlock. They are both technically "airlocks", one is just bigger than the other.

You probably already know this, but since it wasn't mentioned I'll remind you to put a bit of sanitizer in the water, otherwise it defeats the purpose.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #12
yanksball14
Recipes 

So, I figured I would follow up on this thread now that I'm enjoying it! Tastes very good for a first brew! here's a pic:

Old 06-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
the_kent
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Damn, that is a thing of beauty right there. How are the flavors? I typically brew wheat beers, and IPA's, but I wanted to expand and learn something new, so I brewed my first Irish Stout this weekend, and everything went smooth. I am considering adding some oak chips and transfering to a secondary. I'll be taste testing the brew over the next week or so to not overpower the brew. While there is no real need to add the chips, I just thought adding a little more character.

Change is inevitable; progress is optional.

Quick Reply