trub in washed yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I washed the yeast from my latest brew after racking to a secondary. I ended up with 4 bell jars, which have been sitting in the fridge for a few days now. Two of them look perfect - a nice uniform layer of yeast on the bottom. However, the other two have a distinct darker layer below the yeast, which I assume is remnant trub. There isn't much there, but should I try rewashing the yeast in these two jars? What effect will the trub have?

I have only washed yeast a few times, and that was because the first batch included various spices like from a Christmas ale. My understanding of washing and trub is that you want to get rid of those unwanted flavors--spices, maybe hop gunk you may not want sitting on a lighter beer, etc. So if it is very hoppy or spicy trub, and you are going into a lighter style beer, you might want to re-wash; otherwise, not a big problem, I'd say.

Greg

I have only washed yeast a few times, and that was because the first batch included various spices like from a Christmas ale. My understanding of washing and trub is that you want to get rid of those unwanted flavors--spices, maybe hop gunk you may not want sitting on a lighter beer, etc. So if it is very hoppy or spicy trub, and you are going into a lighter style beer, you might want to re-wash; otherwise, not a big problem, I'd say.

Greg

It was from a basic pale ale. Not particularly hoppy and no unusual spices or flavoring.

Don't worry about the small amount of trub left in the bottom of your starter jar. It will not harm your yeast in any way as long as the washed yeast is used within a few months. It will be next to impossible to get washed yeast with absolutely no trub in the bottom.

Regarding washing yeast after very hoppy beers, I belive you wouldn't necessarily want to use that yeast again. I believe the AAs in the hops hurt/coat the yeast and don't allow them to perform as well in future generations.

Back