HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Trub in Secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
Frank
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Trub in Secondary?

My honey porter was in the primary for about 10 days with a 1066 OG and when I racked to the secondary the FG was 1016. After 1 day in the secondary I noticed there is already about 1 inch of trub on the bottom of the carboy.

My plan is to leave it in the secondary for 2 weeks. Will sitting on this trub affect the flavor of my beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
mmb
FNG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3040 Times on 2967 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Sitting in primary for three weeks wouldn't have caused any trouble, let alone sitting on the yeast in secondary. As a rule, I try to leave my beer in primary for about 4 weeks and then go straight to keg.

You'll find, as you spend more time on HBT, that many of us don't even bother with a secondary on most beer.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
mdwmonster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

2 weeks shouldn't effect the quality of the brew. Some folks on here leave their beer in the primary for a month or so, then skip the secondary.

I'm wondering why you got that much trub. I usually get some, but not nearly an inch. Did you suck up a lot of the settled yeast when you racked to the secondary?

Whatever the reason, I don't think you'll have much trouble if you are only planning on leaving it in the secondary for two weeks.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
mmb
FNG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3040 Times on 2967 Posts
Likes Given: 148

S/He is getting that much trub because the yeast was still in suspension and wasn't done with the fermentation process.

Plan on moving out of secondary to bottling a few days after your Final Gravity readings stay constant and the yeast has flocculated out. Brewing is an organic process and usually doesn't fall into arbitrary time lines.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
bbriscoe
Recipes 

I have yeast in suspension well after my FG has stabilized. Do I need to cold crash to get it to clear? I don't have a beer fridge so can I just leave the carboy outside to crash overnight in the cold?

Old 12-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3444

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbriscoe View Post
I have yeast in suspension well after my FG has stabilized. Do I need to cold crash to get it to clear? I don't have a beer fridge so can I just leave the carboy outside to crash overnight in the cold?
I never cold crash, as I mentioned in the other thread. I leave my beers in primary for a month or more and they are crystal clear.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
joeunc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 ,,just leave in Primary for 3 weeks to a month and let it be, then keg or bottle based on gravity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb View Post
Sitting in primary for three weeks wouldn't have caused any trouble, let alone sitting on the yeast in secondary. As a rule, I try to leave my beer in primary for about 4 weeks and then go straight to keg.

You'll find, as you spend more time on HBT, that many of us don't even bother with a secondary on most beer.

Quick Reply