Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > trub in my primary fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
muthafuggle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default trub in my primary fermenter

I'm brewing my second batch ever (first post to this forum, too!) and I was so enthusiastic in getting my cooled wort into the plastic fermenter, I just dumped the whole damn thing into the bucket, trub and all.

That was about 5PM last night.

This morning I was thinking back over my brew procedure and had an "oh crap" moment. What should I do? If I had another fermenter I would just rack it over. I could rack it into my bottling bucket and then back to the fermenter, but that sounds like way too many opportunities to oxygenate my beer or infect it with something nasty.

If I leave the trub in am I going to mess up my Kolsch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
rwinzing
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The trub is fine you will need longer to allow the beer to "clear" If you use a secondary when your fermentation is done rack it over and leave as much trub behind as you can. If not when you are ready to bottle try and leave as much behind when you move to the bottling bucket. Your beer is fine no worries.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Welcome to HBT!

Don't do anything. I always dump the whole pot into the fermenter and never had an issue in all my years brewing.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 27 Posts

Seconded. Somtimes I strain, sometimes I don't. It all depends on my current level of laziness at the time. Either way, it'll all settle out during fermentation. Just keep that patience level high, and give the yeast lots of time to clean up after themselves.

And welcome to HBT!

Old 01-25-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
waldoar15
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

You'll still make beer.

I try to limit the amount that goes in, but not eliminate it. It acts as a nutrient for the yeast.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
muthafuggle
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thanks guys! I guess I have beginner's panic. -so many things to potentially screw up.

My first batch (Raspberry Wheat) has been in the bottles for about 2 weeks and it tastes like soap. I'm hoping time will heal all beers, but I don't want to make any more stupid mistakes.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
aboule13
Recipes 

funny, this answers most of my questions too... I had a moment yesterday too where i neglected to cool my wort enough before transferring it into my fermenter. the result was alot of trub floating around.

i cant take all the blame, papazians book doesnt mention wort cooling procedures and methods for removing hot and cold break until the advanced section. He does assure me that trub in the beer isnt the end of the world. However I am slightly worried about some off flavors. Especially when friends of mine are brewing similar recipes so we can compare how slight alterations effect taste.

So I am planning on transferring to secondary after a week and probably straining it. A friend suggested i may be able to transfer it to secondary as soon as today and just add a new packet of yeast. Any thoughts on this? Like the person who posted earlier, I dont want to risk contamination if its going to be ok.

Regardless, this is my second brew also, so I am taking this as a learning experience and look forward to doing a better job cleaning out the hot and cold break from my next batch.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
thristy
Recipes 

Your fine relax it will fall in the primary

Old 01-27-2010, 10:01 PM   #9
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I always dump everything into primary, then just filter it by siphoning to the secondary

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

Old 01-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

Give it a little extra time for the trub to compact. It tends to be fluffy at the end of the fermentation.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply