Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > trub layer on top?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
Clavechkin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default trub layer on top?

I just took the lid off my fermentor after two weeks and found a fairly thick layer of what I think is yeast and hop particle/trub on top. I was expecting a little on top but thought the majority would go to the bottom. It was probably a quarter inch thick over the whole top, looked green/brown, doesnt look like infection. I made an IPA from a kit (Whale Arrow IPA from Homebrew Emporium). Is this layer normal? I racked to bottling bucket and bottled anyhow

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
RagingBull
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavechkin
I just took the lid off my fermentor after two weeks and found a fairly thick layer of what I think is yeast and hop particle/trub on top. I was expecting a little on top but thought the majority would go to the bottom. It was probably a quarter inch thick over the whole top, looked green/brown, doesnt look like infection. I made an IPA from a kit (Whale Arrow IPA from Homebrew Emporium). Is this layer normal? I racked to bottling bucket and bottled anyhow
How long was it in primary? Did you take a hydrometer reading? Probably krausen which is natural by product of active fermentation. If so, you bottled too early.

Carbonating/Conditioning:Chocolate Porter, Old Devil Nut Brown Ale, Cape Fear Pale Ale Classic American Light1776 Lager
Fermenting: Diablo IPA, Black Forest Stout, Hellfire Red Ale
On Deck: Bewitched Amber Ale

Old 01-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Normally it should drop. Sometimes it stay up there. I've had some stay for close to 3 weeks, depending on the type of yeast I used.

Which is the next question.. What type of yeast did you use? Some are top cropping and will stay up for a while.

Did you check your gravity and confirm it was stable for a couple of days? If you didn't you will now run the risk of bottle bombs. I'd put your bottles in an inclosed area, such as a plastic tote, or in a bag in a box, incase they start to explode from being bottled too early.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-21-2013, 02:36 AM   #4
Clavechkin
Recipes 

Thanks for the responses. This is my first homebrew so did a bunch of things wrong, like not taking an original gravity reading. Final was 1.012. My airlock was no longer bubbling. Had 4 days of steady bubbling, then sporadic bubbling for a week, then nothing for 3 days. Recipe just said wait 2 weeks then bottle and wait two more, now after loving the process and reading a lot about it, I know its a way more involved. Beer was in the primary for 2 weeks, no secondary, then to bottling bucket today and bottled. Yeast was Nottingham dry yeast.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:14 AM   #5
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

What was the expected FG of the recipe?

Extract batches, are usually really close, especially if you hit the volumes right. If you are close to what they expected in the recipe, then you might be okay this go around.

I wouldn't make a habit of it. Some day you'll run across a beer taking it's time and you'll have issues. Likewise, you will have some beers that speed along fine and you would have been able to drink them 2-3 weeks sooner!

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-21-2013, 03:21 AM   #6
Clavechkin
Recipes 

Expected FG was 1.012 - 1.015. If I bottled before fermentation was complete but don't get bottle bombs, will I be able to tell?

Old 01-21-2013, 03:42 AM   #7
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavechkin View Post
Expected FG was 1.012 - 1.015. If I bottled before fermentation was complete but don't get bottle bombs, will I be able to tell?
If expected FG was 1.012 to 1.015 and your measured FG was 1.012 you've got nothing to worry about. Let it ride for three weeks at 70*f, then fridge a couple of bottles for a few days and enjoy.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
Clavechkin
Recipes 

OK thanks. If I bottled before fermentation was complete but don't get any bottle bombs (none yet), will I be able to taste that fermentation was not complete?

Old 01-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
GASoline71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 40

If you are at 1.012... fermentation was pretty much done by that point.

I'd say you got nothing to worry about.

Gary

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"

Old 01-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 294 Times on 245 Posts

If it was way off, they may be sweeter. Judging by your questions I will guess that you are not the most experienced homebrewer, so I will say that YOU will not be able to tell.

Also, your yeast will continue to eat sugar, so eventually they will get down to FG.

Quick Reply