The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > trub/carbonation/cold crash..... bitter trub

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
iambeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Default trub/carbonation/cold crash..... bitter trub

The biggest worry now is how to end the fermentation and prepare it for bottles.

I cold crash in a Mr Beer keg because it fits in the fridge. But when it's time to add the carb sugar, I don't know what to do. Do I stir it (which stirs whatever has taken days to settle)? Do I let pour it in and simply close the lid and hope the sugar spreads out evenly? Do I pour it and wait some time and hope the yeast doesn't have an unpressurized snack?

I just bottled a cold crashed (in secondary) dark mild which had been excessively bitter during the nearly two weeks it has been fermenting, a big difference from the previous dark mild with same recipe. The last bottle has a considerable about of trub in it which makes it undrinkable.

Can I just BUY something to remove the trub? (I have begun using whirflock tabs). Should I siphon a few more times? Will buying a wort chiller help? Obviously I don't want to use the word 'filter' because the oxidation police will pipe up.

Panic mode: On

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
iambeer
Recipes 

On the last bottle: After pouring the contents through a coffee filter, it seems 'decent'. I need it to be decent before filtering.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
wfowlks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Why are you cold crashing a beer in the first place? If you don't want the trub, I would suggest getting a secondary fermentation bucket with an auto-siphon. It will allow you to remove it and then let it age and mellow out.

Most dark/heavy beers need a few extra weeks to mellow out.

How is the carb levels in the bottles?

Old 06-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
iambeer
Recipes 

I don't understand. I do siphon into a secondary which is cold crashed. It's a low sugar beer 3.5% ish abv mild that doesn't need aging.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
wfowlks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Ok, I skipped over some stuff in your original post.

How often are you tasting this beer, and how long are you letting it ferment. Also what is the temperature that it is fermenting at.

Additionally what are you using to clean/sanitize the supplies?

Old 06-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
iambeer
Recipes 

I guess you want to tell me to wait it out and to relax and drink beer. That's actually not always the answer you know. I have bitter trub in the beer. I want it out, and I'm not going to wait 3 months for it to magically decompose in the beer. I'm either doing something wrong or I need to add something to my process.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

After you cold crash the beer, you can rack it to a bottling bucket, leaving the trub behind.

While you get ready to rack to the bottling bucket, you can dissolve the priming sugar and put it in the bottling bucket so that when you rack the beer, you can lay the tube in a circle on the bottle of the bucket and let it swirl and fill from the bottom to mix. That ensures the trub is left behind, and that the priming solution is evenly mixed.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1829 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

To quote the ancient romans; Beware young maidens
& value your wine. Beware of young men in their velvet prime. how deaply they'll drink from your finest kegs...leaving you...with bitter dregs.Aaaah ahaah...bitter dregs. It needs to settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling. Less bitter dregs that way.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #9
iambeer
Recipes 

Could I instead buy a submerged pump and a trub filter to move beer only once to a bottling bucket/cold crasher? I read that a stainless steel mesh filter that features 0.5mm pores would be small enough to filter out a significant amount of trub and hop material but large enough not to easily clog. Does anyone do this?

unionrdr: It fermented two weeks and it was in the fridge for 3 days.... I just figure waiting more time is a non-issue. I just can't believe how much trub I still had after I carefully siphoned it and cold crashed it.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1829 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

It's still easier to let it settle out clear or slightly misty before racking to the bottling bucket. That's what I do.

Quick Reply