Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Trub

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 04:15 AM   #11
TahoeRy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Fishfoolz is right. Technically, all of your trub should be settled way before you get to the bottling bucket. I usually do a two week secondary so at least that's my case. I also always use a hop bag on my auto-siphon wand to help filter out anything. The stuff in the bottles after conditioning should be dead yeast from the bottle conditioning taking place and the last bit of yeast eating the bottling sugar added for carbonation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 04:29 AM   #12
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think the yeast in the bottom of a bottle conditioned beer is not all dead. Unless you pasteurize the beer. That's why it is possible to culture yeast from commercial brews. I saw that Wikipedia too. Still not sure trub is the right word for the stuff in the bottles but guess it could be. I'll ask a brewer next time I'm at the local micro brewery.

Edit...check out this site for definitions of trub and sediment. I think the stuff in bottles is sediment.

Sediment
The refuse of solid matter that settles and accumulates at the bottom of fermenters, conditioning vessels, and bottles of bottle-conditioned beer.

Trub
Wort particles resulting from the precipitation of proteins, hop oils, and tannins during the boiling and cooling stages of brewing.

http://www.craftbeer.com/beer-studie...ssary-of-terms

Still not offended. Just interested in the proper terminology.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:14 AM   #13
TahoeRy
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Bad choice of words from me. Let me used spent instead. They did their job, are not going to do anything else and might as well be dead. Can you make a starter by introducing new sugars, yes. Are they going to do anything else in that single bottle of beer, no. Is that what your seeing in the bottom of a properly filtered and conditioned beer, yes.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
starke20
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I guess there is a lot of nomenclature that can be interchangeable and not interchangeable. I'll just wait another two weeks and see what happens. Take it easy all.

Quick Reply