Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Trub

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
starke20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Trub

How long before you see sediment in the bottom of the conditioning bottle?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
nsrooen
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

That depends on how much crap is in suspension which depends on a lot of factors - how long you let your beer settle out or if you cold crashed it before you bottled etc., etc....

Old 02-19-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
starke20
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well it sat in the secondary for two weeks.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #4
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Are you really expecting trub in the bottle? Shouldn't it be yeast you are looking for? The trub should have fallen out in primary, maybe secondary.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
starke20
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I thought the crap at the bottom of the bottle was called trub or could be used at any part in the brewing process. My bad, didn't mean to offend you Eric. I'll just go back to brewing Mr. Beer.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:37 AM   #6
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts

I wasn't offended. I'm actually not sure now that I think about it. Maybe the yeast in bottle conditioned beer is called trub.

Anybody know?

Old 02-20-2013, 03:51 AM   #7
Crockus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Im fairly new at it and have never used a secondary but in my expirence 10-14days is where i have noticed sediment in my bottles.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:00 AM   #8
ianw58
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 42

From Wikipedia:

In the process of brewing beer, trub (from the German for lees) is the layer of sediment that appears at the bottom of the fermenter after yeast has completed the bulk of the fermentation.[1] It is composed mainly of heavy fats, proteins and inactive yeast.[2]

Trub also refers to the material, along with hop debris, left in the boil kettle or hopback after the wort has been transferred and cooled. Brewers generally prefer that the bulk of the trub be left in the kettle rather than stay in contact with the fermenting wort. Although it contains yeast nutrients, its presence can impart off-flavors in the finished beer.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:01 AM   #9
fishfoolz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starke20
I thought the crap at the bottom of the bottle was called trub or could be used at any part in the brewing process. My bad, didn't mean to offend you Eric. I'll just go back to brewing Mr. Beer.
I think it is called trub and it has yeast and other stuff that did not get fermented in it. If you did a good job of racking to secondary and a good job racking to bottling bucket, there should not be much left to settle out. You could try putting a hop bag over the bottling wand to catch whatever is left. When racking off, try to slowly tip the container to the side to get the last bits of liquid without breaking the siphon flow. Should be able to pull off the liquid without most of the trub. Just some thoughts, but I bet some of the more experienced guys could give some better ideas. Good luck man.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:04 AM   #10
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 114

When the beer is chilled after a couple (at least) of weeks of higher temp carbonation, the sediment forms fairly quickly, if it hasn't already.

Trub is "cold break" "hot break" proteins, hops, and sediment. Beer residues, in essence. Yeast isn't trub- in washing yeast (preparing used yeast for reuse) you separate the trub from the yeast as best as you can.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing, visiting the great breweries / brewpubs in CO!

Quick Reply