Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > troubleshooting most recent brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 02:14 AM   #21
DrummerBoySeth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_Wily View Post
I hear you. I wish I had some people in the area to taste it for me (or develop a way to send taste across the interwebz, lol) to help troubleshoot. It just seems odd to me (being fairly new yet) that the young flavor would be so obvious after 4 or so weeks in bottle.
Most people advise 3 weeks for carbonation to complete. Personally, I have found my beers don't start getting really good until 4 weeks after bottling. Since you are 4 weeks in, you should be reaching the end of the "green" phase. If that flavor persists for another week, then you may have an issue that requires attention. Most homebrew flaws are corrected with fresh ingredients, clean high quality water, and temperature control. Pay attention to these items and I suspect you will find your beer quality improves significantly.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 06:20 AM   #22
Hackwood
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Looks good to me. Brewer's Best Summer Ale has been by far my favorite brew that I have made. I brewed 2 BB batches and switched to all-grain and my 2nd AG was a Summer Ale.

GL with it.

Fermenting - Nothing.
Lagering - Nothing.
Secondary - Nothing.
Bottle-aging -Chocolate Stout, Lite Citra Ale and a Citra SmAsH.
In the Fridge - New Castle Brown Ale, Chimay and Milk Stout.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:36 AM   #23
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_Wily View Post
Thats an interesting point ogri as I wasn't aware wheat carried any tart flavor with it. Good to know. What if, say, the wheat wasn't boiled more than say, 10 minutes?
Actually, it might not be the wheat that is the culprit, may be the spices that contribute the slight tartness, but I just associated witbiers and weissenbiers with a sort of tangy refreshing taste..

I'd have thought that carefully boiling wheat LME for less than 10 minutes, I'd tend to go for addition at flameout anyway, is always going to be a positive factor for flavour.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #24
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 12 Posts

On the last of this batch, have about 14 left that will likely be consumed this weekend. I can still certainly taste the off flavor, but once chilled it's far less noticeable. I wondered last night while drinking it if the flavor could be related to the hops used. Or perhaps the spice pack. The brewers best description: "Pleasant citrus notes come from the bitter orange
and lemon peel. Fermented with premium Safale US-05 dry yeast, this beer finishes clean with lingering flavors of citrus and spice. Crisp and refreshing"

The lingering flavor is what I'm not caring for so much. Maybe it's just "working as intended", although I sorta hope not, lol.

Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~

Old 12-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #25
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 12 Posts

Just thought I'd share that this beer is pretty much gone. I think I have one left. Had a buddy visiting for a couple days and he was really digging it. I also took one down to the LHBS and had the guys there taste it and they both approved. The only critique they had was that it was low on carbonation, which I agreed w/ them about. I probably wont do this exact kit again but I may play with the style in the future (closer to summer).

Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~

Quick Reply