Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > troubleshooting most recent brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
Doctor_Wily
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 12 Posts

Default troubleshooting most recent brew

Greetings Everyone,

Hope you are all well. I am working to troubleshoot an "off" flavor in my most recent beer. I'll give you some history first though.

I brewed a brewers best summer ale back July 22, 2012 (thumbs up for record keeping!) Due to certain issues I didn't bottle this until about a week ago! This brew sat in primary the entire time.

I can hear it now: "Doctor Wily, why on earth did you let it sit that long?! zomg! rabble rabble internetz!" I know, I fail, sorry, lol.

ANYWAY....

I notice it has a apple-y/cidery flavor. Browsing through the troubleshooting guide by Palmer both seem to lend to the chances that the fermentation was done at too warm of temp and too young of a beer. Certainly possible as it was a pretty hot summer but it spent it's first few weeks of life sitting in the living room where I have a hardcore AC unit. The heat exposure would have happened after about 3 or so weeks.

I'm drinking one of the beers now (it's been about a week in the bottle) as I type this to get a good idea of the flavor. It's certainly a bit of a sour apple after taste and it's not *bad* per-say, just not what I was expecting; I'm sure somewhere along the line my process broke the flavor. I notice a slightly almost metallic smell as well.

It's absolutely palatable, I wont be tossing it or anything, and frankly, the one I'm drinking now is better than the one I had 2 days ago. I know with beer time cures most wounds but I want to make sure I am turning out the best beer I can.

I'm just curious for the sake of learning what may have happened here and I appreciate any help given.

TL;DR: I left my beer for a long time and now it tastes funny.

Thanks everyone who takes the time to read my ramblings!

Edit: for those who are interested, here's a photo!

img00690-20121029-1200.jpg  
Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~

Last edited by Doctor_Wily; 10-29-2012 at 04:17 PM. Reason: added pic

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Both of those flavors can be explained to an extent by being green, another week or two and you should be much better. I am curious how you got so much carbonation after a week. Did you add more yeast? I can't imagine the original was all that active.
Letting sit that long on a yeast cake can impart some off flavors as well, but if it's decent right now, some bottle conditioning should help make it better.

Future: Black IPA Redux, possibly others
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Maple Vanilla Brown Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA, Starry Night Vanilla Bourbon Porter

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Old 10-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

No sir, nothing fancy for carbonation. Just did my priming sure and away she went. :-)

I'd use the phrase "all right" to describe it, which (in my head anyway) is less quality than decent, lol. Again, I'll certainly drink it, it's not "omg puke throw it out" bad or anything, just kinda not a "clean" enough flavor I guess.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it!

Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~

Old 10-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I doubt that the long primary is the cause of the off-flavor. I suspect that the fact that it has only been bottled one week is the biggest contributor to the strange taste. I say try it again in 2 weeks and let us know how it is then!

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 10-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 77

One week isn't enough. The apple taste like twist said is from being green. Try again in 2 weeks and I bet you will notice its gone and your beer tastes great. Good luck, wait it out, relax

Old 10-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
cooper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I've forgotten about a Black IPA in the secondary for 7 months and it turned out great after I bottled it. The main thing is it didnt get an infection and it was sitting in a 5 gal carboy with about an inch head space. I doubt I could have bottled it if it had hair growing on it though.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:07 AM   #7
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

after about 3.5 weeks the flavor has mellowed but is certainly still apparent. SWMBO described it as "gross apple juice" lol. I can certainly see where it's improved but I still have the sour-y aftertaste.

Cheers!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~

Old 11-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Possibly an infection or too much sugar would be my guess.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
estricklin
Certified Guitar Pickin' Hop Slingin' Crazy Homebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I absolutely think the cause of the off flavor can be contributed to the long sit in the primary. That recipe had a decent hopping I would imagine, and hops don't stand up to the test of time.

Even more so, I think the lack of temperature control played the biggest factor.

Pretty awesome how you bottled, didn't add yeast and BAM after a week it is carbed. I never add yeast at bottling time, even with my lagers, and most of my beers are carbed after a week.

I've made some pretty nasty beers before and haven't had much luck with off flavors disappearing after it's bottled, but your mileage may vary.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by estricklin View Post
I absolutely think the cause of the off flavor can be contributed to the long sit in the primary. That recipe had a decent hopping I would imagine, and hops don't stand up to the test of time.

Even more so, I think the lack of temperature control played the biggest factor.

Pretty awesome how you bottled, didn't add yeast and BAM after a week it is carbed. I never add yeast at bottling time, even with my lagers, and most of my beers are carbed after a week.

I've made some pretty nasty beers before and haven't had much luck with off flavors disappearing after it's bottled, but your mileage may vary.
I'm chocking it up to temp control as well I think. All in all this beer was kind of a fail (except I've drank 12 of em already, big fail, right?) Temp control and the extended sit.

Here's the ingredients if anyone is interested from brewers best:

Ingredients
3.3 lb. Pilsen LME
1 lb. Wheat DME
1 lb. Pilsen DME
SPICE PACK
SPECIALTY GRAINS
8 oz. Carapils
HOPS
.5 oz. Bittering
.25 oz. Flavoring
.25 oz. Aroma
YEAST
1 Sachet

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~

Quick Reply