The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > trouble holding temp down with first dopple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
dantose
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default trouble holding temp down with first dopple

Ok, so I'm brewing a doppelbock using an octoberfest yeast and due to poor planning and warmer temperatures all of a sudden I can't seem to hold the temp much under 70. It's about a day and a half into the primary and the temp seems to be holding steady.

Any tips on fighting off flavors? I'm already getting a bit of a buttery smell off it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

well, i think what's done is done. aging will be your best friend now... those lager yeasts will throw off some funk when you get out of the temp range. try a water bath or something to get it down but i think the majority of off flavors are produced during the first few days of fermentation (especially since you've got it at 70).

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 07-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
dantose
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

It's sitting in a water bath with the carboy wearing a wet tee shirt (need to get a pic of that) that's only knocking off about 5 degrees (little over 70 down to a little under.) I've been trying to keep some ice in the bin it's sitting in too but it melts too fast to be effective.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
squeekysheep
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

add ice P.......

Battle Axe brewing

Old 08-13-2009, 11:58 PM   #5
dantose
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Well, it's now bottled. The bottle time tasting had no buttery/butterscotch flavors so I think I'm in the clear as far as that.

I managed to screw something else up though, while heating the priming solution it boiled over in the microwave losing I'm guessing about half. I was thinking about adding some corn sugar to make up for the loss, but decided to just rune with it and risk under carbonating. I can always go back and reprime the bottles if it's too bad.

I'm trying a set of flip tops that I recently bought. I'm hoping they hold a seal better than the 1 L fliptops I've got.

Quick Reply