Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Tripel Karmeliet partial mash kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
bradneal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Tripel Karmeliet partial mash kit

First, this may be a ridicules request, but I'll throw it out there anyway...

I am still acquiring my home brewing hardware so I'm still doing extract kits. But I would like to find a kit or partial mash recipe that would get me even remotely close to Karmeliet Triple.

Austin HB has a partial mash kit called "Tripel Karmeliet (Brouwerij Bosteels)". Has anyone out there tried it, and if so, how does it compare to the real deal?

Thanks,
Brad

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
bradneal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nobody ever try this one?

Old 05-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
Franzi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

...looking forward to a response. I had some bad ass Tripel Karmeliet in Belgium and would love to be able to make something half as good at home.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
bradneal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would have to say that the Tripel Karmeliet is hands down the best beer I have ever had in my life.

Alhtough I seriously doubt that a partial mash kit will get there, if it's even close, I would be pretty thrilled. With shipping the kit runs almost $75, but again, if it's close, I'm in.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:09 AM   #5
kmanAZ
Recipes 

Did you end up brewing AHB kit? I'd love to hear how it turned out. Tripel Karmeliot is one of my all-time favorite brews.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
bradneal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi Kman,
Actually, the one I did was the NB partial mash version. You can find it here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...ripel-kit.html

It did turn out very well, but I wouldn't put it up against its commercial brethren. I will definitely do this one again, but I'll bottle it rather than keg. It requires more C02 than the others that I've done, and I never was able to get it regulated properly.

So I'll reserve final judgment until I can give it another shot and try it from the bottle.

But I'll give it a hearty 1.5 thumbs up, as it is a very good beer and definitely approaches the style of our beloved Belgian Karmeliet Triple.

Please keep us posted if you decide to give this one a try.

-Brad

Old 02-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
kmanAZ
Recipes 

why did you choose the Northern Brewer kit over the AHB one? I tried Karmeliet at a cool little beer bar in Bruges called t Poatersgat and fell in love. That weekend we had stumbled across the Bruges beer festival (and literally stumbled away from it!) and of all the fantastic beers I tried there, the karmeliet ended up my favorite. I've always been a huge Belgian beer fan, so finding that festival was one of the highlights of my life.

I'd love to try and brew this weekend. Wonder if i could put together an equivalent kit at my local HBS?

Last edited by kmanAZ; 02-05-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 02-05-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
bradneal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanAZ View Post
why did you choose the Northern Brewer kit over the AHB one?
No particular reason. They send me their catalog, and I saw they had a PM kit of the KBT, so I jumped on it.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:56 AM   #9
kmanAZ
Recipes 

ended up brewing a sierra nevada clone from the BYO recipe. May do the Karmeliet next.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #10
springtime
Recipes 

After having Triple Karmeliet numerous times and loving it, I purchased the Austin Homebrew Clone. It has been in the fermenter for 6 days. The SG was 1.022 pretty close to the 1.018 we are looking for but will leave in primary for a while longer. What I am here to report is having a taste from the reading I was blown away at how good it is. Obviously flat but had the characteristics of the Triple Karmeliet. I was a bit skeptical, but am so pleased with what it has turned out so far. I will wait until I'm at at least 1.020 before transferring to secondary. If anyone has an interest I'll keep you posted. Does anyone know of a great La Chouffe clone?

Quick Reply