Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Tried my first homebrew last night! Awesome!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #11
DmentD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You should be fine using the full amount. Here are a few sites that can be useful for future priming calculations (if you want to be accurate to the style of beer your brewing, etc.):

TastyBrew's Bottle Priming Calculator

John Palmer's "How To Brew" Calculation Chart

Frankly, I'm lazy, and TastyBrew is easy to use. *grins*

There has been heated debate over what constitutes the correct "bottling temperature" to be used for the calculations -- temperature of the beer at the actual time of bottling (as some lager/crash cool right before bottling), or the highest temperature reached during/after fermentation regardless of what the temperature is actually at for bottling, as that will dictate the amount of residual CO2 still in the beer, and that will affect how much priming sugar you use when you bottle. I'll let you make up your mind about what side of the fence you're on (and some interesting reading on it can be found HERE).

Cheers, and welcome to the obsession!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #12
Grover
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I remember that first taste of the first batch and thinking the same thing. Awesome. I couldn't wait the full amount of time either. They guys down at my LBHS actually suggest 6-8 oz. of corn sugar depending on how much carbonation you want.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #13
BADCL0WN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

FYI- 6 to 8 oz of priming sugar per 5 gal batch will certainly give you bottle bombs! Thats like carbing to 3.5 or 4.0 vol. 5oz is the most you should use on a 5 gal batch. Check the guides posted above, they will help you decide.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #14
JerTheRipper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNPorter View Post
Way cool man! I've got the same kit sitting in a secondary right now and it's my first home brew as well. Hope it turns out as good as yours, it's looking good so far.
Wow, I, too just racked that same kit to a secondary yesterday and it's my first brew.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:48 PM   #15
Grover
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADCL0WN View Post
FYI- 6 to 8 oz of priming sugar per 5 gal batch will certainly give you bottle bombs! Thats like carbing to 3.5 or 4.0 vol. 5oz is the most you should use on a 5 gal batch. Check the guides posted above, they will help you decide.
You're right. The information was actually 3/4 - 1 cup priming sugar which is right around 5 oz. For some reason I was equating 3/4 - 1 cup with 6 - 8 oz. My bad.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #16
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Most priming sugar I every use is 5 oz in a Hefe. 6 to 8 oz would be exciting though LOL

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #17
KFBass
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Something about using a volume measurement for priming sugar freaks me out. You wouldn't use 3 cups of DME would you?

On the other hand, I use metric measurements for priming sugar, and thus have nothing of use to contribute to this conversations

Seriosuly though, I generally try to go for the middle to high end of carbing to style. I don't thin kid like an undercarbed hefe or an over carbed bitter or whatever. The differences are roughly within 50g but it does make a difference.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #18
fg12351
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

OK, it's not all roses.

Some of the bottled beer is alot darker after pouring and has more of a bite to it that I am contributing to burned extract on our crappy electric range. The flavor is tolerable. We had to boil the wort in 2 separate smaller containers because of the above aforementioned range. When it came time to pour the two into the fermenter, they appeared to have difference consistencies. If I have variation bottle to bottles should I have done more mixing at some point?

Thanks,

FG12351

Old 05-03-2010, 04:59 PM   #19
deathtractor
Recipes 

just racked that same kit to a secondary last night...added a little bit of honey though!

Quick Reply