New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Tried my first homebrew last night! Awesome!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
fg12351
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Tried my first homebrew last night! Awesome!

It was a Brewer's Best Red Ale extract that I had in the primary for 4.5 weeks and it's been in the bottles for 2 weeks. My patience ran out yesterday and I threw one in the freezer for an hour and then in the fridge for another hour before I cracked it open last night. It was great! The color was a deep red hue. I thought it was very clear and it had a nice taste to it. I think it was still "green" so another week or two I'm sure it will be even better! I'm definitely hooked on this hobby!

One question I had when reading about priming sugar:

Al ot of people state they use 4 oz. of priming sugar per 5 gallon batch. This was an extract kit that game with 5 oz. of priming sugar and that's what I used. This beer was carbed well but did I use too much? The recipe instructions never stated what amount to use. I used 22 oz. bottles but will be using 12 oz. as well in the future.

Anyways, thanks for everyone's help on this and now I'm researching an IPA brew!

FG12351

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
tamoore
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg12351 View Post
It was a Brewer's Best Red Ale extract that I had in the primary for 4.5 weeks and it's been in the bottles for 2 weeks. My patience ran out yesterday and I threw one in the freezer for an hour and then in the fridge for another hour before I cracked it open last night. It was great! The color was a deep red hue. I thought it was very clear and it had a nice taste to it. I think it was still "green" so another week or two I'm sure it will be even better! I'm definitely hooked on this hobby!

One question I had when reading about priming sugar:

Al ot of people state they use 4 oz. of priming sugar per 5 gallon batch. This was an extract kit that game with 5 oz. of priming sugar and that's what I used. This beer was carbed well but did I use too much? The recipe instructions never stated what amount to use. I used 22 oz. bottles but will be using 12 oz. as well in the future.

Anyways, thanks for everyone's help on this and now I'm researching an IPA brew!

FG12351

Awesome! I wish my first was as enjoyable for me as yours was for you!

My second, however, was bliss...

Brew ON!

On tap:
ESB
My best IPA
Paddlers Pale Ale

On Deck:
3% Summer Session IPA
SNPA inspired pale ale.

Brewing this week:
Irish Red.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

My first homebrew was from a kit as well, I used the supplied priming sugar which I believe was 5oz as well and it turned out just fine. I'm sure some of the more seasoned home brewers will chime in but the average amount is 3/4 cup to 5 gal. So you could add up to 6 oz and still be fine.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
neovox
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The homebrew bug bites again. Congrats! Enjoy.

BrewStreams - Homebrewing and Craft Beer News Aggregator

Old 04-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Congrats on your first brew. It is definitely an exciting day when you drink that first one.
For the priming sugar, it will only affect carb level. It's likely not fully carbed yet after only 2 weeks. If after another week or you, you're happy with the carb level, continue using that amount. If it seems too fizzy for your tastes use less. Don't judge it off it's current level though, as it will likely carb more still after only 2 weeks in bottle.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 04-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Brewer's Best Red was my first kit too! That batch turned out great. 5oz is just enough priming sugar. So I wouldn't worry at all. They put that much in a kit for a reason. If you start to order kits without priming sugar just substitute a little less then 2/3 a cup of table sugar.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #7
SNPorter
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg12351 View Post
Way cool man! I've got the same kit sitting in a secondary right now and it's my first home brew as well. Hope it turns out as good as yours, it's looking good so far.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
brewagentjay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I use 5oz per 5.5 gallon batch......

Primary - Apfelwein v2, JChrapewein, Light Scottish Ale, SW 420 v2, Devil Dog Ale Version 2
Secondary - OxiClean
Just Bottled - Jay's Irish Stout
On Deck - The Orginal Fat Tire
Planning - "Hail to the Chief -IIPA", "The Straw Berry Blonde"
NTBA - Wicked Ale

Semper Fi

Old 04-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
brewagentjay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Oh, welcome the group of proud brewers.......

Primary - Apfelwein v2, JChrapewein, Light Scottish Ale, SW 420 v2, Devil Dog Ale Version 2
Secondary - OxiClean
Just Bottled - Jay's Irish Stout
On Deck - The Orginal Fat Tire
Planning - "Hail to the Chief -IIPA", "The Straw Berry Blonde"
NTBA - Wicked Ale

Semper Fi

Old 04-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #10
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Don't take the 5oz of sugar for granted - every style has a different carb level go here for the correct carbing

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html?10090022#tag

Congrats on your brew - BUT here is the great thing. You think it;s good now? Just wait until you get more and more batches under your belt (literally LOL) You will come back in 10 batches and say - now THIS is good beer . . . and then in 10 more batches you will say THIS IS the best beer.

I made great tasting beer first and now after 50 batches I'm still getting better and better. You will keep learning tiny little things that will improve, better techniques, temp control and just experience.

Congrats and welcome to obsession.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Quick Reply